About the job
Each day, hundreds of thousands of developers make billions of transactions worldwide on our cloud. They harness the power of Amazon Web Services (AWS) to enable innovative applications, websites, and businesses. The Amazon Security team owns security for all of these services offered by Amazon, including EC2, S3, and many others. Our team works with the many Amazon teams to solve security challenges at massive scale. We enable the trust by building services that meet the security goals of our customers, from compliance to analysis. We dive deep into security technologies such as new authentication systems, hardware security components, cryptography, system hardening, and massive-scale audit analysis.
Our team is looking for highly intelligent software and systems professionals to join us and help us continue to raise the security bar for cloud computing. You should be somebody who enjoys working on complex system software, is customer-centric, and feels strongly about delivering results. You should be passionate about solving security hurdles in innovative ways. We do not desire to simply produce good software here at Amazon Security… we want to produce disruptive, history changing innovations.
Amazon has a fast-paced environment where we “Work Hard, Have Fun, Make History.” A typical day on our team involves working with users to design new security features, prototyping and demonstrating features to your users, deploying software through our large automated systems, and operationally supporting your newly deployed software. You are looking for radical new approaches to automate fixes for operational issues. You get to use Amazon services to solve design problems. You get to interact with Amazon teams to integrate your application with theirs. You’ll be part of a world-class team and surrounded by people who are smart, passionate about cloud computing, and believe that world class service is critical to customer success.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Key job responsibilities
Our team supports the internal infrastructure of Amazon. The candidate must be customer-obsessed and be mindful of the need for our services to be highly available. The best candidates will be familiar with Java and Kotlin, and have knowledge of authorization and authentication in Linux.
A day in the life
On a typical day, the developer promotes improving security at Amazon. This could manifest itself in different ways: new service development, feature development, mentoring, problem-solving, or operations. Our technology is tied to our customers, the employees of Amazon, and a large component of the job is working backwards from their needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (related field) and 3 years software development OR equivalent work experience of 5 years of software development without a degree
- 3+ years of experience working with Linux operating systems
- 3+ years of exposure to cloud computing (AWS, Azure, etc)
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- In depth experience with all phases of the SDLC
- Proficient in design, analysis, and application of algorithms and data structures
- Experience designing and building software from scratch
- Experience operating business-critical services, familiar with operational best practices, particularly for large-systems
- Experience with cloud computing and/or distributed computing
- Experience working on projects with multiple teams, communicating technical, design, interface, and feature requirements and implementation
- Experience coaching and mentoring junior developers
- In-depth knowledge of Linux/Unix tools and architecture
- Strong knowledge of web, security, and networking protocols
- Some experience with security tools such as intrusion detection, log analysis, and network scanning.
- Breadth of experience covering the “stack” of front-end web user interfaces and web servers through to back-end analysis and storage systems
- Demonstrated experience learning and delivering with different architectures, technologies, and languages
- A person that thrives and succeeds in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift fast
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
Our inclusive culture empowers Amazonians to deliver the best results for our customers. If you have a disability and need an adjustment during the application and hiring process, including support for the interview or onboarding process, please contact the Applicant-Candidate Accommodation Team (ACAT), Monday through Friday from 7:00 am GMT – 4:00 pm GMT. If calling directly from the United Kingdom, please dial +44 800 086 9884 (tel:+448000869884). If calling from Ireland, please dial +353 1800 851 489 (tel:+3531800851489).
Company – Amazon Dev Centre (London) Ltd
Job ID: A2163892