About the job
As a Barclays Platform Engineer, you’ll be responsible for the build and delivery of the EDP Advanced analytics platform across a number of hosting platforms such as AWS, Kubernetes, OpenShift and on premise servers. You’ll be automating the deployment and maintenance of the EDP Advanced analytics platform using Infrastructure, Cloud-formation and CI/CD tools such as Jenkins. You’ll deliver self-service capabilities and automations to enable easy adoption of the EDP Advanced analytics platform.
Barclays is one of the world’s largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
This opportunity is open to flexible working arrangements. Such as working from home, flexible or compressed hours, and part-time options. If you have a need for flexibility, please apply and discuss this with us during the hiring process.
We are currently operating in a hybrid working environment, meaning that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
What will you be doing?
- Designing new platform capabilities, or enhancing existing ones, ensuring deliverables comply to Barclays standards and policies (for security, data privacy, accessibility)
- Taking ownership of data platforms, defects and responsibility to lead engineers and developers, review code and contribute as required
- Leading service improvement across Elastic DP platform by identifying existing design flaws and guiding engineering team in remediation and improvement
- Encouraging others in working towards the organization goals as required
- Inspiring confidence by making and honoring commitments, demonstrates initiative and competence
- Ensuring deliverables comply to Barclays standards and policies (for Security, Data privacy, Accessibility)
- Developing and prototyping of, highly available distributed systems, web application development and framework extensions
- Suggesting new ways forward and coming up with new feature ideas
What We’re Looking For
- Experience in data platform engineering, preferably in financial sector
- Understanding of Hadoop core concepts, AWS CloudFormation and Kubernetes.
- Core programming languages: Java / Scala or Python
- Understanding of systems and applications associated with Cloud and containerisation environments such as UNIX, Windows, Storage, Middleware, Networks and security.
Skills That Will Help You In The Role
- Demonstrable experience of DevOps tooling such as Jenkins, Bitbucket/Git, Nexus, and working knowledge of CI / CD toolchains
- Infrastructure automation skills (Chef)
- Exposure to one or more additional technologies in the platform namely DB2, MongoDB, MariaDB Ab Initio, Informatica, Teradata or SAS
- Exceptional communication, engagement, documentation and governance skills
Where will you be working?
Northampton was the birthplace of Barclaycard in 1966 and we’ve been based in Pavilion Drive since the building opened in 1997. This state-of-the art energy efficient building holds up to 2,500 staff. The office location is perfect for travel from the midlands and London alike as we are based just off the A45, it is easily accessible by both car and bus routes.