About the job
As a Barclays Solutions Architect, you will be working on the Payments Core Issuing team, alongside other architects, business and engineering colleagues, partnering with stakeholders from Barclays security, technology, operations and infrastructure teams. This is a senior level role interacting with colleagues at many levels, shaping technology roadmap, defining milestones, ensuring good governance, producing high and low-level designs, guiding technology delivery.
Barclays is one of the world’s largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
This role is suitable for dynamic working arrangements, such as flexible or compressed hours, working from home, and part-time. Please share your requirements with the hiring manager so that we can discuss during the hiring process.
We are currently operating in a hybrid working environment, meaning that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
What will you be doing?
- Designing technology solutions that meet business requirements
- Working with stakeholders to clarify problems and validate business needs
- Working with Barclays CTO to help establish the technology strategy and roadmap
- Evaluating and presenting alternative solution options and high-level estimates
- Ensuring that solutions adhere to Barclays standards, patterns and technology strategy
- Supporting architectural governance and work planning processes
- Optimising the use of vendor solutions, along with Barclays infrastructure and technology to control total cost of ownership
- Providing mentoring, peer reviews and technical supervision for less experienced Solution Architects
What We’re Looking For
- Experience designing and delivering highly-available, commercially viable solutions in a regulated environment
- Understanding of architectural best practices, methods and design patterns including knowledge and experience of security patterns & best practices (e.g. OWASP) and (e.g. PCI DSS)
- Demonstrable Technical Knowledge of technologies pertinent to Barclaycard, technologies. (e.g. AWS, Java, OpenAPI Specification (OAS) and RESTful API Modelling Language (RAML)
- A broad understanding and experience of a wide range of data sources would be expected
Skills That Will Help You In The Role
- Ability to clearly articulate problems, risks, challenges, constraints and the selling points of a solution, great communication, listening, presentation and analytical skills
- Practical experience with architectural design patterns and concepts including microservices, event-driven architecture and domain driven design
- Knowledge of data management concerns including data lifecycle, classification, security, business importance, accuracy, lineage and retention
- Software development experience using Java including JEE and Spring, good awareness of other programming languages and open source libraries
Where will you be working?
Northampton was the birthplace of Barclaycard in 1966 and we’ve been based in Pavilion Drive since the building opened in 1997. We purchased the building from the landlord in early 2018 as a sign of our commitment to investment in Northampton. Plans to further develop this Campus-style location are under way to allow for a real collaborative work environment. Based just off the A45 it is easily accessible by both car and bus routes.