About the job
As a Mobile Software Engineer you will contribute the development of features, fix bugs and issues, review code from others in the team and make a key contribution to the entire development lifecycle, from conception and discovery through development and delivery.
Everybody on the team has a say in how we work, so you need to be able to work with others across disciplines – collaborating with UX designers, API engineers, testers and product owners so that together we can make everything we do the best it can possibly be. You’ll help create team goals and objectives, contribute feature ideas and discuss the future direction of the product, and give input in retrospectives on how we’re performing as a team and what we can do to improve. Even this job description was written collaboratively, using feedback and suggestions from everyone on the team.
You’ll also have opportunities to grow and specialise. We want you to be passionate about the future of technology in broadcasting, and the impact you can have. You’ll need a desire to keep learning and growing, with support from cross-team groups, meet-ups and chapters focussed on topics such as Android and iOS development, accessibility, security, development practices, continuous delivery and many other areas of interest.
Are you the right candidate?
We don’t expect anyone to have experience of all of the below technologies but this just gives an example of the technologies and practices we value
We don’t need you to be an expert on any of these but some use of them, along with an understanding of their underlying principles, would be great. Don’t feel that you can’t apply if you don’t have all of the skills. You’ll work with, and be mentored by, a friendly development team, and the BBC will provide many opportunities for learning as you progress.”
Some Of The Technologies You Will Have Experience Of
- Mobile Application development on iOS and/or Android platforms.
- Objective-C, Swift, Java, Kotlin.
- High capacity, high traffic, high availability mobile apps.
- API creation and integration.
- Testing tools and approaches, including Test Driven Development, and test frameworks such as XCTest, JUnit and Robolectric.
- Cloud engineering platforms such as AWS.
- Knowledge and understanding of development and design experience on mobile phone platforms.
- Engineering principles, OO and design patterns.
- Delivering large-scale projects within an agile multi-disciplined team.
- Agile software development methodologies, techniques and processes.
Contract type: Permanent – Full time
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application . There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits – We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18 th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18 fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About The BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here
- BBC Benefits
- BBC Values Guide