About the job
Media Distribution Analytics is the BBC’s team that knows what your streaming
experience was while watching Wimbledon on iPlayer or listening to your favourite
podcast on BBC Sounds. The BBC’s future is dependent on delivering content to an
ever-growing online audience and setting the industry standard for a world-class ondemand
and live streaming experience. That means playing content back flawlessly
and offering the best quality media to our audience, so that we continue to deliver
news, entertainment and the UK’s most prestigious live events that delight our
To achieve these goals the Media Distribution Analytics team develop the data
products and pipelines that ingest, measure and visualise the audience experience
and allow us to take action, often in real-time, in addition to informing long term
capacity requirements and performance. This is a data engineering team that
processes enormous quantities of data, and works closely with device playback and
the BBC’s own internal Content Distribution Network (BIDI) teams, as well as third
party network suppliers, to help make the online streaming experience the best it
can possibly be.
- Design and build data products to understand media distribution within the BBC.
- Maintain and extend a petabyte-scale media distribution datalake and ETL process.
- Develop our realtime stream processing pipeline used for operational monitoring.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and engineers to find new requirements, ensure products are impactful and add value.
- Establish culture of engineering excellence and guide junior members of the team
Are you the right candidate?
- Enjoy creating data products and working with big-data technologies
- Practical experience maintaining large batch/streaming data processing pipelines using technologies including Flink/Spark/BEAM/Kafka
- Extensive experience with programming languages used for data engineering and associated services: Java/Python/SQL/Go
- Experience deploying code to cloud platforms and using infrastructure-as-code
- Knowledgable of various data storage solutions and formats: NoSQL/Columnar/Time-series/RDBMS/Parquet/Avro and services: BigQuery/Athena/Snowflake
- Ability to work independently and maintain high standards
- Have worked with data visualisation platforms: Grafana/Looker/PowerBI/Tableau
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application . There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits – We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About The BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here