About the job
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits– We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The BBC is one of the UK’s most well-known and loved brands and is a unique and rewarding organisation to work for. The iPlayer and Sounds department builds some of our most used online products, with a mission to secure the Internet future of the organisation.
iPlayer & Sounds are key destinations for our audiences discovering BBC content on TV devices.
Enhancing our broadcast channels with Live Restart and Ultra High Definition content, and being able to promote personally relevant streamed content to people, is of strategic importance to us. Our products are underpinned by a technically diverse architecture, blending contemporary cloud services and well-established broadcast engineering. Combined they offer a unique opportunity to use and develop a broad range of technical skills.
- Be accountable for the development of effective software that meets given complex, strategic business needs for the immediate team and broader BBC
- Contribute to the leadership of technical design choices and roadmap shaping, including the consideration of NFRs such as reliability, security, scalability and performance
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code
- Ensure the team’s software works well in its operating environment
- Troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle, including optional involvement in out of hours support
- Contribute to continuous improvement of the team’s delivery and development processes
- Mentor more junior software engineering team members
- Work with other BBC teams and 3rd parties where necessary, providing support and documentation
- Communicating effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues at all levels of an organisation
- Active involvement in software engineering recruitment activities across the BBC Product Group
- Investigate new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies, helping to introduce them where appropriate
Are you the right candidate?
We are looking for a talented engineer of senior standard to work as part of a multi-discipline team.
- A growth mindset, willing to learn and share knowledge
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Experience of the following technologies and practices:
- Agile development methodologies