Department of Place
Neighbourhood and Customer Service
City Centre Street Cleansing Operative
1 x role available, averaging 25hrs per week (rota detail below)
Band 1/2: £18,333 pa £9.50 per hour
Candidates who have applied in the last 6 months need not re-apply
Based at: Bradford or Keighley but working across the district.
The Code of Practice on the English language requirement for public sector workers, Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2016 requires that Councils ensure that all candidates applying for customer facing posts must be assessed in order to establish their fluency in English.
The criteria under special knowledge and experience on the job profile which is shown in this advert outlines what level of fluency you will be expected to demonstrate. Therefore, it is essential that you provide examples in your application.
We are looking for motivated and enthusiastic Street Cleansing Operatives to undertake activities such as litter picking, sweeping, graffiti and fly poster removal, emptying waste bins and removing fly-tipping.
You will also assist in provision of remedial grounds maintenance work such as grass cutting, hedge cutting, use of strimmers, blowers and weed-spraying as and when required.
A full driving licence is desirable but not essential.
We are looking for people who can demonstrate the following competencies: –
- Able to communicate politely with members of the public and others
- Understands the importance of keeping public areas clear of litter and rubbish and can list the hazards which fly tipping, overflowing waste bins and rubbish could create to members of the public
- Able to carry out manual tasks to an acceptable standard
- Able to work with others at a joint task or on their own
- Able to keep an accurate record of events
- Able to follow instructions in order to operate equipment safely or carry out operational tasks
- Understands and can describe health and safety risks appropriate to the job.
Candidates who have applied in the last 6 months need not apply.
To find out more about the position please contact Thomas Kendall, Assistant Civil Enforcement and Operations Manager on telephone number 07816369966 or email
Closing date: 27th October 2023