About the job
Job Req ID:
Chippenham (4308), Chippenham, United Kingdom
Competitive salary plus benefits
BT has a key role in British society, fostering change and leading technology innovation. From delivering the Olympics, to supporting the emergency services, to investing more into research than any other UK technology company, we take pride in everything we do – and in the people who work here.
We’re now a global company operating at the forefront of the information age, employing 90,000 people in 180 countries. And we’re on a mission. Guided by our core values of Personal, Simple and Brilliant our goal is to help customers, communities and businesses overcome barriers and release their potential.
So, if you’re interested in the power of potential, why not join us today and release yours? You can read more here about what it’s like to work at BT.
Why this job matters?
The role is working within the Defence space and will be working in an RTE (Representative Test Environment) to take into support and provide through life maintenance of the RTE systems. Initially working with Project managers and Designers to take the systems through the AIS (Acceptance Into Service) process and bring them under the support of the RTE Team. Once under support you will be responsible for the day-to-day upkeep and maintenance of the systems whilst also working with the Release Management and Testing Teams to successfully apply patches and updates. Working in a fast and demanding environment the successful candidate is required to have a good technical background within the IP, data and voice sectors and be great at communicating with multiple parties in a diplomatic manner whilst also standing their ground to ensure local procedures are followed.
The successful candidate must hold SC clearance and must be willing to gain DV clearance.
Duties and responsibilities
- As part of the strategy to fulfil the contractual obligations to provide an RTE (this has now become a big focus of fulfilling our multi-million-pound MoD contract throughout its duration) collaborative working between different teams in the business is essential.
- Define and develop policies that enable the successful acceptance into service of complex and secure systems and create tailored documentation to enable the through life management of these technical solutions.
- Undertake any provided bespoke training to develop skills and understanding to support you in your day-to-day duties. A proactive can-do attitude is required to help drive the team forward to provide a professional service to the business unit.
- Compliance with JSP604 (Defence Networks Governance) will ensure accreditation of the RTE is gained and maintained.
- Regularly reporting to a Defence Manager on the status of systems. Specifically detailing all successes and any roadblocks.
- Continuous Improvement is a must, as a team we are always looking for better ways of working.
- Coaching, mentoring, and supporting other team members, providing feedback where appropriate within the team to ensure that everyone is included within the team and that there is a ‘one team approach’.
Skills Required For The Role
- Security clearance: You MUST hold and maintain the highest personal security credentials, technology accreditations as appropriate/required to carry out your role as authorised and required and as defined in the Security Aspects Letter (SAL) and the contracts that you are working on.
- Collaborative Working: The ability to work collaboratively with numerous key stake holders will ensure a timely Acceptance into Service of the accredited bespoke technical solutions to the RTE Team.
- RTE Management: To use appropriate technical knowledge and abilities to provide through life cycle administration, support, management, and development of our Defence Sector RTE.
- Reporting to Management: Provide a clear progress brief to management as to the status of all the RTE’s. The ability to detail the status of all RTE’s clearly and concisely on their way into the team along with a status update on all existing services. The brief will contain details of everything that is going well along with details of any issues being experienced
- ITIL Overview: The use of ITIL tools and techniques to drive improvement activities, is commercially aware and understands business rationale for such improvements.
Experience And Qualifications
- Experience of implementing and running highly complex secure systems – MANDATORY
- Experience of writing technical documents and training others across secure programmes – MANDATORY
- Management of BT and MoD Security Policy, Assurance and Compliance – MANDATORY
- Experience in Windows & ESXi – MANDATORY
- Experience in VMWare Horizon – MANDATORY
- Experience in Juniper & Cisco networking – MANDATORY
- Experience in Red Hat Linux – DESIRABLE
- Experience in Data Loading, Proxies, Commvault, SolarWinds & Remedy – DESIRABLE
Who Is The BT Group
We’re the leading communications provider with customers in 180 countries. Across the world we enable customer’s digital transformations so they can thrive. our focus is simple: be the global provider-of-choice for managed network and IT infrastructure services..