About the job
Job Req ID:
Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, United Kingdom
This is a Hybrid role based in Ipswich.
BT has a key role in British society, fostering change and leading technology innovation. From delivering the Olympics, to supporting the emergency services, to investing more into research than any other UK technology company, we take pride in everything we do – and in the people who work here.
We’re now a global company operating at the forefront of the information age, employing 90,000 people in 180 countries. And we’re on a mission. Guided by our core values of Personal, Simple and Brilliant our goal is to help customers, communities and businesses overcome barriers and release their potential.
So, if you’re interested in the power of potential, why not join us today and release yours? You can read more here about what it’s like to work at BT.
About this role:
This is a fantastic opportunity to be at the centre of an exciting programme, as we take-on the firmware development for our next generation Broadband CPE, including Broadband Hubs, Wi-Fi extenders and 4G/5G modems. The Broadband CPE development, delivery and test unit within Client Engineering, is responsible for developing and deploying BT’s award-winning hubs. This role involves leading on new technology that will support the launch of new products and services for BT. We are transforming the way we develop and test our converged products by building fully automated test infrastructure. We will innovate and deliver at speed using agile methodology.
You will be responsible for the technical development of the automated test infrastructure, leading a talented team of highly skilled software and network infrastructure developers, within the Broadband Devices tribe. You will work closely with architects and specialists, technical delivery managers, software development, engineering and test teams and external vendors to deliver converged products and services to our customers.
The converged products we develop are at the heart of our customers’ Broadband experience in their homes and businesses – your skills and values will help shape our products for millions of customers across the UK.
Your responsibilities will include the following:
Your responsibilities for technical leadership of the Automated Test Infrastructure within the Broadband Devices Tribe will involve:
- Technical Leadership of the Automated Test Infrastructure development Project
- Technical Leadership of the project in line with the Hub Test Strategy
- Internal Stakeholder management
- Liaising with external vendors
- Leadership of investigation and analysis
- Co-ordination of planned improvements and fixes.
- Responsible for acting as a technical consultant to both CPE platform engineers and the wider BT Broadband CPE / Hub Programme.
Required Skills / Experience:
- Highly Skilled in Embedded Test Automation Infrastructure Development
- Strong scripting skills and Object-Oriented programming skills in Python
- Practical experience in design and API’s deployment
- Exposure to, and understanding of drivers behind automated test strategies
- Skills and experience of VM and Containerisation of applications and services
- Use of code revision, issue tracking and continuous integration tools, i.e. git, Jira, Gitlab
- Practical experience in developing / design / support / delivering Automated Test systems for embedded devices / home gateways products from product concept, architecture, and design to market.
- Working knowledge of Home Gateway standards including, but not restricted to: xDSL, G.fast, FTTP, IPv4/IPv6, PPP, IPoE, 4g/5G mobile networks, Wi-Fi, UPnP / Multicast, EoGRE
- Willing to undertake self-development in required areas
Bonus to have:
- Extensive and proven experience using Test Automation tools like TestShell/CloudShell & Robot Framework.
- Good understanding of BT broadband network infrastructure.
- Working knowledge of Agile delivery methods such as Scrum, Kanban
- Understanding of the telecoms industry with a strong understanding of CPE Home Gateways
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
- 10% on target bonus
- Life Assurance
- Pension scheme
- Option to join the Healthcare Cash Plan or other benefits such as dental insurance, gym memberships etc.
- 50% off BT and EE mobile pay monthly or SIM only plans
- Exclusive colleague discounts on our latest and greatest BT broadband packages
- BT TV, including BT Sport and the NOW Entertainment membership, and 25% off NOW Sport, Cinema and Kids
- 30% discount for friends and family on EE mobile pay monthly and SIM only plans
We’re the leading communications provider with customers in 180 countries. Across the world we enable customer’s digital transformations so they can thrive. our focus is simple: be the global provider-of-choice for managed network and IT infrastructure services..