About the job
Job Req ID:
Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, United Kingdom
Senior Software Engineer – C or C++ Development
Security isn’t always the first thing that comes to mind when you think of BT, but when it comes to keeping everyone safely connected, We Are The Protectors. We deal with thousands of cyber-attacks every day, so that millions of people can safely go about their daily lives and run their businesses. We deliver vital work at scale, with real breadth and impact. We connect for good.
Here at BT we are offering a variety of roles where you can truly make a difference. Join our multi-disciplined Engineering team and you will make a significant contribution in one of our highly skilled teams delivering world-class customer-focussed capabilities. With every project delivered and every new opportunity pursued we make a significant difference to protecting the society in which we live.
You will immediately feel part of a highly motivated and innovative team that will offer unrivalled personal development and a wealth of opportunities to learn and experience new things. We promote inclusivity, good mental health and wellbeing by having networks setup to help support you and allow you to develop with us.
What you’ll be doing with us:
You will be working in a highly motivated and Agile environment
You will be making technical decisions which influence the success of projects and team objectives
You will be a problem solver, delivering insight to solve our real-world technical problems and performing a broad range of complex technical work activities in a variety of contexts
- Have technical skills and experience including one or more of the following:
- C++ or C or Another High Level Programming Language
- Understanding the internals of the operating system
- Have an enquiring mind, thirst for knowledge and willingness to learn
- Be organised and able to multi-task
- Be comfortable challenging others to find the best technical solution
- Use your initiative and be comfortable working with changing requirements
- Be self-motivated and proactive
You might even:
- Have deep understanding of platforms such as Windows, Linux, Android and iOS
- Have reverse engineering skills or experience in vulnerability research
- Have experience working with Agile Project Management Methodologies
- Have experience of leading projects or taking ownership of pieces of work
- Be comfortable managing stakeholder relationships
- Enjoy mentoring, coaching or line management
- Have Security Clearance
What’s in it for you?
- Career progression in BT Security and across BT with our internal development programme
- Competitive salary
- Location: Ipswich
- Working requirements: On Site full time
- Weekly Hours: 37.5
- Position Type: Full Time
- Contract: Permanent
- Discounted BT Broadband, TV & mobile packages and BT products
- On target Bonus
- Share options and 10% pension contribution
- Professional development and paid for industry certifications/qualifications
- Flexible benefits/rewards including dental insurance, healthcare, gym memberships etc.
- Well-being support for you and your family
- 3 days paid volunteering a year
- Flexible and smart working (subject to business needs)
- Due to the sensitive nature of this role you may be required to undergo DV (Developed Vetting) level Security Clearance (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levels/national-security-vetting-clearance-levels). An allowance of £5k per annum may be payable monthly while you hold this DV and continue to work in a role that requires that level of security clearance. The terms of this allowance will be made available if you are successful in being recruited into this role.
There are two things that we want to share with anyone considering joining us.
Firstly, we’ve got big ambitions for our colleagues and the future of the organisation. These include our vision that inclusion and accessibility drive every conversation we have and every decision we make. We want our workforce to fully represent the communities and customers we serve, because a diverse business is a better business. We value every colleague, their diversity and the contribution that they make. When we say you’re welcome at BT, we really mean it.
Secondly, the one thing the pandemic has taught us is that a lot of current and future colleagues, where and when possible, want to embrace hybrid working. Therefore, we are introducing Smart Working at BT. Smart Working means having the flexibility to choose, as a team, how and where you work depending on your team’s deliverables and needs; when you are at your shared core location to connect with others and when not. It may not be for every role, and, as part of the recruitment process, you’ll have the chance to discuss Smart Working and how it might work for the job you are applying for.
Security is one of the fastest growing parts of our global organisation. We protect our networks from more than 6,500 cyber-attacks each day, invest over £40m in research each year and employ more than 3,000 people – which makes us the largest private cyber security employer in the UK. With incredible opportunities to learn, develop and grow your skills, we’ll invest in you, nurture potential and shape your future – whatever your background or experience. You can find out more about Security in BT here
In today’s world, safe and secure digital connections have never been more vital. You’ll be joining a global company operating at the forefront of the information age: BT employs 90,000 people in 180 countries. With huge scale, we’re capable of achieving great things, striving to be personal, simple, and brilliant for our customers whilst creating an inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds can succeed. Play your part. Make a difference. We are the Protectors.
How To Apply
It’s easy to apply online; you just need a copy of your up-to-date CV and to follow the step-by step process. Don’t worry if you need to make changes – you’ll have the opportunity to review and edit your work on the final page. We look forward to receiving your application!