About the job
Job Req ID:
Whitehall, London, United Kingdom
Senior Big Data Software engineer
BT Security ensures that the world continues to connect safely and free from cyberattacks. Every day, our vital work impacts upon millions of organisations and individuals. We ensure nation-states, governments, public services, emergency services, armed forces, people and businesses stay safely connected, as well as providing security solutions to public and private sector customers across 180 countries.
About This Role
Our team develop, maintain and operate big data platforms for one of our major customers. Comprised of Apache Hadoop components, Elasticsearch, and a significant number of in-house developed applications to simplify and user’s interactions with the platforms, these are built on a large remote Linux estate. The platform supports a suite of tools for storing, enriching, querying and visualising large amounts of data. The requirements can change at short notice, so the team uses a DevOps methodology to react to these changes and continue to provide the best customer service.
- In this role you will be a key driver in improving our customer’s cyber capability. The customer will look to you as one of the technical experts for a range of activities where you will have the opportunity to develop your skills in many areas. You must be a self-motivated individual, with the ability to make changes that improve our services and will be involved in short-, medium- and long-term strategy for this customer and wider BT security policy.
You’ll Have The Following Responsibilities
- Part of an agile DevOps team, continuously developing, maintaining, and enhancing a big data platform for our end users.
- To look for improvements in data processing and querying to enhance functionality and usability of the system.
- To work closely with a remote team of analysts to develop and improve query tools and data exploration.
- To mentor new and existing team members, building their skills in a wider set of tools and processes.
- To maintain, support and enhance a big data streaming pipeline and fine tune the storage, extraction and query of data.
- To work with customers to define requirements and support ongoing services.
Technical Skills & Experience
We’d expect you to be a current hands-on practitioner in most of the areas listed below and be able to demonstrate your skills and previous experience.
- Hadoop – Use of distributed data sets (via dataframes) stored on HDFS, implementation, debug and tuning of queries for performance and resilience.
- Elasticsearch – Configuration, tuning, data discovery and working with large datasets.
- Python3 and pySpark – The majority of our custom code for query is written in python3, using pySpark extensively with Jupyter notebooks and Visual Studio Code. Scala – For ad-hoc queries and customer insights.
- React, NextJS, MUI, MySQL – Creating Web based UIs and APIs to allow users to query, display and interact with big data outputs.
- A working knowledge of ansible and puppet would be advantageous.
- Networking – Experience of protocol analysis and ethernet stacks.
- The ability to build relationships with senior customers and stakeholders.
- Qualified to a degree level or with significant technical experience.
This role is a unique opportunity to work in a challenging environment where you can bring your own experience and expertise to make a difference to our customers. In return you’ll learn from a highly skilled team and develop your skills in big data applications, data science and cybersecurity toolsets.
Working 37.5 hours a week, Monday to Friday within our core operating hours there is local flexibility on start / finish times, with most of your time spent at our sites. Due to the nature of this work, there will not be the opportunity to work from home.
You will be expected to obtain and maintain a UKIC DV clearance, so if you don’t currently have one, we will need to undertake pre security checks before starting the role with us.
What’s in it for you?
- Career progression in BT Security and across BT with our internal development programme
- Competitive salary
- Location: London/Ipswich
- Working requirements: On Site full time
- Weekly Hours: 37.5
- Position Type: Full Time
- Contract: Permanent
- Discounted BT Broadband, TV & mobile packages and BT products
- On target Bonus
- Share options and 10% pension contribution
- Professional development and paid for industry certifications/qualifications
- Flexible benefits/rewards including dental insurance, healthcare, gym memberships etc.
- Well-being support for you and your family
- 3 days paid volunteering a year
- Flexible and smart working (subject to business needs)
- Due to the sensitive nature of this role you may be required to undergo DV (Developed Vetting) level Security Clearance (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levels/national-security-vetting-clearance-levels). An allowance of £5k per annum may be payable monthly while you hold this DV and continue to work in a role that requires that level of security clearance. The terms of this allowance will be made available if you are successful in being recruited into this role.
There are two things that we want to share with anyone considering joining us.
Firstly, we’ve got big ambitions for our colleagues and the future of the organisation. These include our vision that inclusion and accessibility drive every conversation we have and every decision we make. We want our workforce to fully represent the communities and customers we serve, because a diverse business is a better business. We value every colleague, their diversity and the contribution that they make. When we say you’re welcome at BT, we really mean it.
Secondly, the one thing the pandemic has taught us is that a lot of current and future colleagues, where and when possible, want to embrace hybrid working. Therefore, we are introducing Smart Working at BT. Smart Working means having the flexibility to choose, as a team, how and where you work depending on your team’s deliverables and needs; when you are at your shared core location to connect with others and when not. It may not be for every role, and, as part of the recruitment process, you’ll have the chance to discuss Smart Working and how it might work for the job you are applying for.
Security is one of the fastest growing parts of our global organisation. We protect our networks from more than 6,500 cyber-attacks each day, invest over £40m in research each year and employ more than 3,000 people – which makes us the largest private cyber security employer in the UK. With incredible opportunities to learn, develop and grow your skills, we’ll invest in you, nurture potential and shape your future – whatever your background or experience. You can find out more about Security in BT here
In today’s world, safe and secure digital connections have never been more vital. You’ll be joining a global company operating at the forefront of the information age: BT employs 90,000 people in 180 countries. With huge scale, we’re capable of achieving great things, striving to be personal, simple, and brilliant for our customers whilst creating an inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds can succeed. Play your part. Make a difference. We are the Protectors.
How To Apply
It’s easy to apply online; you just need a copy of your up-to-date CV and to follow the step-by step process. Don’t worry if you need to make changes – you’ll have the opportunity to review and edit your work on the final page. We look forward to receiving your application!