Undergraduate Food Technologist
£19,400 plus benefits (Work Level 6C)
1-year work placement starting end of June 2023
Manchester city centre
We’re now working in a hybrid way, with colleagues dividing their time between home/remote working and the office. You can find out more about our hybrid working policy at colleagues.coop.co.uk/hybrid-working-policy
If we receive a high volume of applications, we may decide to bring the closing date forward. We recommend you submit your application as soon as possible to ensure that we can consider you for the role.
We’re looking for a driven and ambitious undergraduate to join our delicious food team on a 12-month placement. If you’re a natural team player with a passion for developing your career, we can offer you an amazing opportunity to do just that with a business that always puts people at the heart of its strategy.
As the UK’s largest convenience retailer, we’re committed to providing high quality, ethical products at great prices to our millions of customers and members nationwide. And as an undergraduate food technologist at the Co-op, we’ll look to you to build your technical knowledge about our products; visiting supplier sites to gain a true understanding of processes across our manufacturing environments.
What you’ll do
- support and plan projects, engaging with both internal and external partners to help deliver great results
- regularly travel to carry out site visits with our partner suppliers
- measure compliance to product quality, safety, legal and ethical targets
- support the delivery of new products
- investigate product related issues and recommend solutions
This role will suit people who have
- a real passion for food and developing your career
- a current undergraduate status on a food science/technology or other relevant degree
- a good understanding of the basic principles of food safety and quality management
- great communication skills, with the ability to build great relationships and influence all kinds of people
- a logical approach to solving complex problems
- confidence to manage projects, and self-motivated to work unsupervised
- a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
As a Co-op undergraduate placement, you’ll do work that matters in an organisation where principles are just as important as profits. You’ll also get a package that includes:
- a competitive salary
- 28 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- coaching, training and support to help you develop
- discounts on Co-op products and services including 20% in Co-op food stores
- a company laptop is provided
Building an inclusive workplace
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment, so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at colleagues.coop.co.uk.