Platform Engineer – Azure
£55,733 plus excellent benefits, including up to 10% employer pension contribution and health & wellbeing incentives (Work Level 6A)
This is a UK remote first role, with an option to work in the Manchester office for those who want to. You may be asked to occasionally attend meetings in Manchester.
Co-op’s vision is to co-operate for a fairer world, and collaboration is part of who we are. We work in small, multi-disciplinary teams and run our own delivery and deployments. Working with an Agile approach, we value knowledge sharing so frequently use pairing and ensemble development. We also provide career and technical coaching, and we run communities of practice to support continuous learning.
Platform engineers are a key part of our Digital Technology team here at Co-op. We work within teams to provide guidance around automation, tooling, and cloud infrastructure.
You will be collaborating closely with others in your multi-disciplinary product team and our internal clients to build solutions to business problems. As a platform engineer you are expected to help guide colleagues with automation, tooling, and cloud infrastructure, work with stakeholders to develop an understanding of the problems they face, and challenge existing ideas/approaches.
Our goal is for teams to build simple platforms that provide resilience, security, and performance. Complicated is easy to build and difficult to support. Simple can require more thought but is a worthwhile aim.
Our infrastructure is a healthy mix of IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS, making the most of Infrastructure as Code. We use both Azure and AWS where appropriate and Terraform to define the infrastructure. We strongly encourage the use of PaaS and SaaS in preference to IaaS.
This role will be based in our Food Partnership Platform team, working with Azure and Azure DevOps. Some of the services you will be interacting with include but are not limited to:
- Azure Monitor
- Azure App Service
- Azure Log Analytics
- Azure Logic Apps
- Azure Application Gateway
- Azure Storage Accounts
What you’ll do
- work within product centric teams to effectively deliver infrastructure and support for our websites and APIs
- transform technical requirements into an effective toolchain enabling iterative product delivery
- optimise deployment strategies for products, making sure they are repeatable, scalable, and highly available
- have deep involvement in overall solution design, not simply in the deployment of developer’s code
- participate in 24/7 technical support, as part of a sensible rota (paid overtime)
What you’ll get out of joining us
- opportunities to learn, grow and build a career
- a co-operative team where you can always be your true self
- the ability to work flexibly and remotely, so you can achieve the right balance between work and your personal life
- pension with up to 10% employer contributions
- annual bonus and incentive scheme
- health and wellbeing incentives and rewards through the YuLife app
- Wagestream – a money management app that gives you access to a percentage of your pay as you earn it
- 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service) plus bank holidays
- discounts on Co-op products and services
This role would suit people who have
- great communication skills with the ability to collaborate with technical and non-technical colleagues
- significant experience in a hands-on platform engineering role
- proven experience working in an Agile / DevOps environment
- a comprehensive understanding of the full web technology stack (networking, CDNs, HTTPS)
- expertise with Unix/Linux operating systems, scripting, and tooling
- the ability to adapt and learn new technologies
- confidence working with colleagues from different levels of seniority, influencing and challenging where necessary
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We know that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances.
Unfortunately, we are not able to accept applications from candidates who require UK Visa sponsorship for this role.