About the job
Title: Senior Software Engineer, Infrastructure
Location: London or Remote
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 7 years ago. Fast forward 6 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 70,000 riders who deliver orders from 80,000 restaurants in over 500 cities worldwide.
The Production Engineering team builds (and maintains) services, tools and infrastructure used by the Engineering Organisation at Deliveroo. We are involved in the production readiness of our services so that they can handle scale with speed and safety. We set the strategy for service reliability, observability, infrastructure management and incident response. You will be reporting to an Engineering Manager for one of the teams within Production Engineering.
People in our team use software and systems engineering skills to design and debug complex distributed systems. You are a good fit to join us if you are comfortable working with unfamiliar codebases, including internal, open source and 3rd party code we depend on.
We need experienced software engineers who enjoy solving infrastructure problems with code. We don’t expect you to meet all of the below but would love you to have experience in some of these areas.
- Pride in readable, well-designed, well-tested software
- Professional experience writing infrastructure applications in any language, and a to work on (Ruby/Rails, Go, Python or Scala)
- Experience leading and taking accountability for projects
- Coordinate technical changes across multiple teams, and engineering groups.
- Experience with VMs, containers and serverless compute platforms. (We use AWS for compute, e.g. EC2, ECS and Lambda)
- Experience with networking, CDNs, HTTP and TCP/IP basics. (We use Cloudflare, AWS VPCs and many of our services implement JSON or GraphQL APIs)
- Experience with operating systems, configuration management and “Infrastructure as Code”. (We use AMIs, Docker Images, Terraform and Ansible)
- Experience with monitoring Web applications (We use Datadog, Sentry)
- Experience managing databases, caches and message queues. (We use Postgres, DynamoDB, Redis)
- Willingness to work with unfamiliar codebases, including internal, open source and 3rd party code we depend on
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with a very large impact, looking to solve some of the most interesting challenges out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and the entire we are very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
Benefits And Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer multiple great benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are – your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander.