Website Government Legal Department
About the job
DHSC Senior Advisory Lawyer
Government Legal Department
Salary: £60,532 – £63,734 (London) or £60,532 (National)
Job grade: Grade 6
Apply before Midday on Thursday 20th October 2023
From energy to security, health to human rights, we help the Government deliver life changing law for citizens.
The Government Legal Department is the largest provider of legal services across government, working on high profile matters that are frequently scrutinised in Parliament and the media.
Our work includes:
- Developing and drafting legislation
- Providing legal advice on policies
- Securing our economic and trade relationships
- Ensuring value from commercial contracts worth billions of pounds
- Providing the Civil Service’s employment law advice
We are at the heart of delivering the Government’s priorities and our success depends on our people.
The Government Legal Department (GLD) is looking for a senior lawyer in its DHSCLA division to lead other lawyers and support Deputy Directors in the delivery of legal advisory work relating to public health and ethics.
The successful applicant will be responsible for advising on public health issues in the Public Health and Ethics team in DHSCLA. This role offers the opportunity to advise on a variety of issues such as fluoridation and death certification, to get involved in Bill work and litigation, and also to play a lead role in drafting projects. You must be prepared to work at pace, assist other teams, share your knowledge across teams and have experience of working with Executive Agencies or Arm’s Length Bodies.
Key responsibilities for the role may include:
- Lead, manage, develop and supervise the work of other lawyers within your team.
- Develop strategies, and be responsible for delivering quality legal advice, on a range of complex and challenging projects to meet key deadlines.
- Building effective and productive relationships, commanding the confidence of senior clients and ministers, together with other partners and stakeholders.
- Role model sound professional skills and to provide strong professional leadership, helping to build capability in the organisation in line with corporate objectives.
- Managing drafting projects, drafting and leading on Bill work.
Person Specification / Criteria
Below are details of the Success Profile that make up this role.
You will be expected to provide evidence to show how you meet the criteria at interview stage.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Promote diversity, inclusion and equality of opportunity, respecting difference and external experience.
- Welcome and respond to views and challenges from others, despite any conflicting pressures to ignore or give in to them.
- Stand by, promote or defend own and team’s actions and decisions where needed.
- Seek out shared interests beyond own area of responsibility, understanding the extent of the impact actions have on the organisation.
- Inspire and motivate teams to be fully engaged in their work and dedicated to their role.
For more information click the Apply button.