Website Guardian Jobs
About the job
UNIVERSITY OF SALFORD
Do you have experience of working in Parliament, in-house public affairs or political consulting? Do you have a passion for higher education and a desire to make a difference?
We are looking for an experienced and committed public affairs manager to join our External Relations team here at the University of Salford.
- Help develop and maintain public affairs contacts in parliament, local, regional and national government and with other stakeholders.
- Recommend appropriate tactics for effective engagement to raise awareness and strengthen the University’s reputation.
- Provide direct advice and support to the Vice Chancellor and the Chair of Council in managing their profile and engagement with regional and national public policy and through government affairs specific to the University.
- Proactively provide intelligence on upcoming legislation impacting on Higher Education including advice and alerts on policy matters
- Proactively provide intelligence on local and regional politics and policy, specifically in relation to Greater Manchester
- Produce high quality briefing materials for senior internal stakeholders
- Write engaging, personal stakeholder correspondence on behalf of senior colleagues
What we’re looking for
- Experience of working in a public affairs / government / external relations function
- Experience of understanding and influencing policy development
- Ability to work flexibly and contribute to the wider work of the Directorate – in particular, by conducting research and writing briefings to help colleagues fully understand the policy environment in which we operate
- Ability to work to deadlines and prioritise workload in a fast-paced environment
- Strong research and analysis skills with correspondingly strong communicati0ns skills
What you need to know
- Two / three days a week will be based on campus – these will need flex due to operational requirements.
- This role closes for applications on 31st October
- To apply please attach a copy of you CV along with a cover letter detailing how you meet the essential criteria.
- This is a Grade 8 role with a salary band of £43,414 – £51,804