Website Guardian Jobs
About the job
THE ALPHA PLUS GROUP
About Abbey College Manchester
Abbey College Manchester was founded in 1990 and over the past thirty has become one of the leading providers of independent sixth form education in Greater Manchester. There are normally about 200-220 students in the college. Within this around 30% are from the Manchester area with the remainder coming from 35 different countries across Europe; Africa; Asia and the Americas.
The Maths and Science Faculties
Maths and the sciences are very popular subjects at the college with most students taking GCSE, A-level and Combined Studies/International Foundation Programme in one or more of these subjects. A significant number of students go on to study Maths, Science or Medically related courses at university.
Description Of The Posts
The primary responsibility is for the effective delivery of the curriculum to students and to ensure that students realise their full potential in the subject area. The teacher must be able to deliver the following:
GCSE Maths and GCSE Physics (ability to deliver A Level in these subjects is desirable but not essential)
Teachers should be aware of the college’s academic targets and be able to contribute to achieving them. Close liaison with the Directors of Faculty, Heads of Department Tutors and Heads of House is essential. New staff will attend an induction programme and read the Staff Handbook. Staff should make themselves familiar with College Policies and Alpha Plus Group policies.
- Preparation of lessons and schemes of work for classes and students in consultation with the Head of Department
- Delivery of curriculum to students within timescale including the provision of notes, learning materials etc. in accordance with demands of the examination boards, departmental schemes of work and department policy
- Ability to deliver remote lessons and use the Microsoft Teams technology and other specialist technology in the subject area
- Delivery of lessons to accommodate students with moderate learning and language difficulties using the college’s support systems
- Assessment of student work and monitoring of effort for lesson work and independent study and input of the data into SIMS as part of the reporting cycle
- Preparation and marking of tests, homework and mock examinations.
- Preparation of reports to parents.
- Completing registers at the start of every lesson on SIMS
- Reporting student performance to Tutors/Heads of House and Heads of Department
- Reporting student performance at Parent’s Evening and attending meeting with parents where necessary
- Maintaining a record of marks and grades obtained by individual students.
- Communicating concerns about students to the appropriate person
- Carrying out invigilation duties where required in place of normal teaching hours.
- Attendance at department meetings, staff meetings and other college CPD
- Attendance at relevant training courses as advised or requested by Head of Department
- Discussing examination entries with the Head of Department.
- Selection of learning/teaching resources to be used in lessons as approved by the Head of Department/Director of Faculty
- Meeting all college deadlines
- Participation in the college CPD cycle and review of targets set on an annual basis
- Contribution to the general marketing of the college through participation in college events
- Contribution to the recruitment of students
- To report on and be trained in Safeguarding
- Report Health & Safety concerns, ICT or building faults to the appropriate officer in writing or by email. Use of ICT in line with the college policy
- Contribution to the overall wellbeing and good behaviour of students in and around college/online
Staff may be asked from time to time by the Principal to carry out additional duties that allow for the smooth running of the college.
Personal Skills And Qualities
- High levels of personal and professional integrity
- Commitment to academic excellence
- High degrees of self-confidence, personal energy and dynamism
- Personal warmth, good rapport with students, colleagues and parents
- Excellent organisational skills
- Appropriate levels of personal presentation
- Confident use of ICT and Teams
- Confident oral and written English skills
Knowledge and experience
- Good academic achievement including A-level Maths and Sciences and a relevant honours degree in Maths/Science.
- This position is ideal for someone experienced who is looking for part time work/flexible work
Teaching and Learning
- Experience of teaching GCSE Maths and GCSE Physics. Ability to deliver A Levels in these subjects is desirable but not essential
- Evidence of creative and innovative approach to teaching and learning
- Commitment to improving, monitoring and evaluating teaching and learning
- Commitment to assessment for learning
- Commitment to reasonable adjustments for those students requiring additional support
- Ability to teach at the pace to deliver a GCSE course in one year
- Ability to adapt teaching style to accommodate the needs of students whose second language is English
Philosophy and Ethos
- High expectations for student attainment, personal development and conduct
- Commitment to delivering the curriculum for students of a range of abilities and with a range of English levels
- Commitment to best practice in pastoral support and student welfare
- Commitment to delivering the enrichment curriculum when required
Applications will only be accepted from candidates completing the Abbey College Manchester Application Form and Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form.
The Alpha Plus Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our children. All staff are trained in child protection and understand to report concerns by following the safeguarding policies. We ensure all candidates are properly police-checked, and the successful candidate will need to obtain an enhanced disclosure via the DBS.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Please click the link below for further information on employing Ex-Offenders:
Policy on employment of ex-offenders.pdf (alphaplusgroup.co.uk)