Website Hampshire County Council
Salary after allowances: You can expect to earn between
£28,000 – £32,000 when enhancements for market supplement, evenings and weekends are added.
Swanwick Lodge, Southampton, commutable from Winchester, Eastleigh, Portsmouth, Fareham
Please note, the first four months of the role will comprise an induction programme, including mandatory training.
Secure Children’s Home Practitioner.
You will work as part of a diverse and supportive team of professional carers to provide a highly structured, stimulating and caring environment for young people who may display extreme behaviour and high levels of distress, and who may have great difficulty forming and maintaining relationships.
Your focus will be to act as a
‘therapeutic parent’ and role-model to the young people by forming positive, trusting relationships that enable them to feel safe and cared for. This requires you to have a great deal of patience, empathy and understanding, and the ability to be consistent, kind and respectful, even in the face of extremely challenging behaviour.
Experience of working with children, young people or adults within a residential, secure or similar setting is advantageous and you will also be provided with training in
‘therapeutic parenting’ as well as regular ongoing training and support to develop both personal and professional skills.
You will also need the ability adapt your approach and expectations to take account of a young person’s intellectual and emotional development, which may be much younger than their actual/chronological age.
Please visit our website to view the
essential skills required for this role.
In return, Hampshire County Council can offer you an improved work-life balance through our
excellent benefits package
- Access to Local Government Pension Scheme (employer contributions starting at 16.1% of your salary).
- Between 24 – 27 days annual leave entitlement (dependant on Local Authority service).
- Interest free travel loans and discounts.
- Employee Support Services.
- Family friendly policies.
- A Golden Hello payment of £250 or £500 if you already hold a relevant Level 3 Diploma qualification
- A on off payment of £500 upon completion of your Level 3 Diploma (if you do not already hold this)
- A retention payment of £3,000 upon achieving 3 years continuous service
full Person Specification here
recruitment website here
- This role requires an enhanced DBS disclosure (Criminal Records Check). As such, please note, we will take up references prior to interview.
- This role requires a Safeguarding Check. As such, please note, all previous employment involving contact with children will be contacted for an additional reference.