About the job
Head of Architecture for Global Risk Analytics and WPB Risk Technology
Big Bank Funding. FinTech Thinking.
Our technology teams in the UK work closely with HSBC’s global businesses to help design and build digital services that allow our millions of customers around the world, to bank quickly, simply and securely. We also run and manage our IT infrastructure, data centres and core banking systems that power the world’s leading international bank.
Our multi-disciplined teams include: DevOps engineers, IT architects, front and back end developers, infrastructure specialists, cyber experts, as well as project and programme managers.
Risk IT provides technology services in support of Global Risk, HSBC’s “Second line of Defence” Function. Global Risk is a diverse and evolving Function, acting as “Risk Steward” for many of HSBC’s financial and non-financial risks. Given HSBC’s global and universal banking model, the Risk Function is structured to “Protect and enable” HSBC’s four global business across all regions.
To achieve these critical, dual goals, Global Risk is organised into a number of Sub-Functions. The Global Risk Analytics and WPB Risk sub-function focusses on the model development lifecycle for all aspects of risk, largely in relation to models for Wholesale Credit Risk (WCR), Traded Risk and WPB Risk
Global Risk Analytics and WPB Risk diverse and critical responsibilities give rise to a wide range of technology demands spanning:
- Data environments for the development of models
- Model development tools
- Platforms for the build and deployment of models
- Model execution orchestration
- Model Monitoring and reporting
These services must be provided reliably, in an environment of evolving regulatory obligations whilst driving towards HSBC’s goal of delivering its IT services in a cloud-first manner.
Reporting to the Chief Risk Architect, the role will work with the Head of Global Risk Analytics Technology to develop and be accountable for the architecture of this service line.
The role will be responsible for maintaining, developing and communicating the overall roadmap for the service line. This includes responsibility for a team of service-based architects, working closely to provide guidance on designs and changes, and formally reviewing/approving submitted designs to ensure that they are aligned to Group and Risk technology principles, strategy and standards.
The role will have senior membership of the Global Risk Analytics and WPB Risk IT Exco as well as the Risk Architecture Exco.
All Architecture deliverables, including:
- Defining the target state architecture and interim steps from target state, in the context of the overall Risk Technology Architecture and the bank’s overall Technology and Data principles and strategies
- Obtaining approvals from appropriate technical design authorities
- Representing GRA on technology and architecture governance committees
- Presenting to senior IT and business stakeholders
- Guiding solution, data and infrastructure architects on developing appropriate detailed designs for approval
- Communicating GRA architecture designs and principles to the delivery and technical leads, providing suitable guidance
- Ensuring alignment with Risk and organisational level architecture principles, practices and strategy
- Leading and mentoring the team of architects within GRA
The key focus area for the role holder is to provide architectural support for the creation of a single hybrid-cloud modelling platform, with demise the existing systems. This platform will manage the whole lifecycle of modelling, from the development of a diverse set of models that support all businesses within HSBC, management of approvals to use the model, and the execution / monitoring of the model once approved.
This will involve stakeholder management, both high level and low level design activity, oversight on system designs and guidance to solution architects.
The role holder must work with the communities of practice to maximize automation to ensure designs increase efficiency and instil best practice, the latest tools, techniques and processes have been adopted.
The role holder will have held Senior Architect roles in similarly sized organisations, where they will have been able to develop and maintain strong relationships with a diverse range of technology, modeller and business stakeholders.
They will be able to communicate effectively to this diverse set of stakeholders, both verbally and via written materials. They will have a passion for technology and be aware of current trends in technology, both in modelling tools and in cloud-native technologies. They will be able to demonstrate how they have introduced such technologies successfully in previous roles.
The role holder will continually seek to build up relationships within the wider Risk IT and business teams. They will collaborate with the broader Risk Technology community to ensure consistency in embedding principles on architecture design with a focus on Cloud enablers and DevOps principles. They will be a key player in creating an environment that values technology professionalism, continuous improvement, collaboration and a creative approach to problem solving.
- Experience of modelling within a banking or finance institution, able to demonstrate an understanding of both analytics and modelling lifecycles and changes (ideally in the context of Risk Management)
- Experience of cloud based system design, ideally hybrid-cloud using Google Cloud Platform (GCP). Certification would be advantageous
- Kubernetes based design and development experience – evidence of designs leading to successful production of large scale solutions would be advantageous
- Apache Spark based design and development experience
- Technical experience of Python
- Experience of working in a DevOps organisation
- Experience of running a globally distributed team of solution architects
- Excellent communication and influencing skills, including the ability to describe complex technology issues simply to non-technical stakeholders
- Collaborative team player
The role will be based in London but some travel may be required.
Come Power a Business that Defines How to Power the World
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of ethnicity, religion, age, physical or mental disability/long term health condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by local law in the jurisdictions in which we operate. Within the work place you will have access to various employee resource groups which aim to promote and achieve a healthy work / life balance and support our diversity ambitions. HSBC has in place processes in order to avoid nepotism, which means to avoid creating circumstances in which the appearance or possibility of conflicts of interest may exist within the hiring process.
We want everyone to be able to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies.
As an HSBC employee in the UK, you will have access to tailored professional development opportunities and a competitive pay and benefits package. This includes private healthcare for all UK-based employees, enhanced maternity and adoption pay and support when you return to work, and a contributory pension scheme with a generous employer contribution.
Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.