Website Network Rail
About the job
HP Head of CD WCML (453719) G2
About Network Rail
We’re proud to be recognised by Glassdoor as one of the Top 50 Best Places to Work in 2021.
Network Rail operates and maintains the railway infrastructure 24/7 365 days a year. We do work that matters to millions. And we do it in millions of different ways.
This is an exciting time to join Network Rail. We’re passionate about great service and commit to our service equation vision by “putting passengers first”. Performance, safety and getting the fundamental basics right, is something we strive for as well as asking ourselves – what can we do to put our passengers and freight users at the centre of everything we do?
You will be part of the North West & Central Region (NW&C) which consist of three routes – North West, Central and West Coast South – and a regional team supporting Regional Major Programmes & Professional services.
To find out more about us –
For us, ‘Diversity’ means recognising differences between people while valuing the contribution they make. ‘Inclusion’ means creating safe and welcoming workplaces with fair cultures that encourages innovative and fresh ways of thinking.
We value the commitments you may have outside of work and will consider flexible working applications. If we can make it work – we will! .
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the Network Rail delivered works on behalf of HS2 and regional sponsors on North West and Central. Programmes at Crewe, West Coast and Central portfolio and Euston facilitate works to enable the aligned delivery of the HS2 network which need to be delivered on time, budget and to quality standards. Also significant renewals and enhancement works at Crewe and Euston are required to be delivered in CP7 and CP8 to upgrade the infrastructure fit for the future expansion.You will be providing a single point of contact for Regionally delivered functional support.
The role can be based from any of the major offices on our region: London Euston, Milton Keynes, Birmingham, Manchester or Crewe.
About The Role (External)
- Lead the strategic and operational delivery of the region’s HS2 enhancement capital expenditure programme to achieve the capital delivery targets which support the regional scorecard.
- Work in partnership with the Heads of Sponsorship, who act as capital delivery’s single point of contact for HS2 and work collaboratively with the routes, functional teams and other Heads of Capital Delivery to drive innovation, continuous improvement and best practice across project delivery.
- Lead relationships for Capital Delivery when acting as a single point of contact for the Region-based finance, commercial & business development and safety functions which provide services to Capital delivery from Regional Directorates.
- Deliver the required efficiency within the Capital Delivery enhancements and renewals budgets including cost centre management to deliver Opex and Capex targets, within the portfolio.
- Lead the day to day operational performance across the Capital Delivery portfolio in all areas of the short-term scorecard.
- Develop and improve strategic relationships with key stakeholders and suppliers at director level, and act as a director level representative of Capital Delivery including television, radio and print journalism interviews as required by the region’s Managing Director or Capital Delivery Director
- Act in partnership with the Route Director, functional teams and other Heads of Capital Delivery to drive innovation, continuous improvement and best practice across project delivery.
- Develop and deliver project and programme implementation plans for the defined region and route strategies, including the identification and management of risk.
- Provide and allocate adequate resource capability to deliver the portfolio, including resource forecasting, succession planning, talent management, recruitment, training & development and performance management.
- Direct the delivery team for compliance to corporate health and safety, quality and environment processes for all managed projects and sponsor assurance and audit of region and project documentation, activities, processes and systems.
- Direct the timely assignment, and thereafter, discharge of, Construction Design Management (CDM) duties for all projects/programmes.
- Lead the strategic development of the delivery team culture, building a diverse and inclusive workplace, that prioritises the customer and passenger experience, role modelling the company and regional values and behaviours.
In order to be successful in this role, we would like you to have/to be:
- Member of a relevant professional body with chartered status and/or educated to degree level
- Demonstrable leadership experience of cultural and behavioural change within a large complex organisation
- Demonstrable safety leadership and management practice in driving improved safety outcomes within projects and programmes
- Extensive relevant experience in the successful leadership of a range of projects and major programmes of work in the construction or infrastructure sectors
- Successful experience managing P&L accounts to deliver corporate financial targets and goals
- Broad commercial experience of major infrastructure projects with the experience of leading commercial aspects such Contracting strategies, supplier relationship management and claims resolution
- Extensive experience of achieving required quality outcomes through leading and directing appropriate assurance and oversight
- Excellent stakeholder engagement, influencing and problem-solving skills with proven experience of delivering for customer
- Detailed knowledge of Health and Safety, environmental and CDM legislation and practical experience monitoring and achieving compliance
How To Apply (External)
We are a Disability Confident Leader and want to make the most of the skills and talents disabled people bring to the workplace -skills and talents we need in our business
Want to find out about what fantastic benefits we offer?
Network Rail adheres to a structured pay framework, any salary offered will be within the pay range advertised.
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks.
Salary: starting from £111,725 and rising to £133,006.
Closing date: Wednesday 19 October 2023. Late applications will not be accepted.
Click ‘apply now’ to apply.
Safe behaviour is a requirement of working for Network Rail. Applicants should be able to demonstrate their awareness of our
We will endeavour to offer a diverse interview panel wherever possible.