Website Surrey County Council
Are you looking for a varied role in the countryside helping to maintain and improve public rights of way with the opportunity to learn about the broader aspects of Countryside Management and gain a Level 4 Countryside Ranger qualification?
- The role implements the County Council’s statutory and priority countryside access duties, powers and responsibilities, including maintenance and inspections.
- We are seeking an enthusiastic self-starter, with a passion for the countryside and belief in access to it for all.
- An exciting opportunity has arisen in our Maintenance and Enforcement team to help deliver improvements across the Rights of Way network in Surrey.
- The role will be focused on Public Access and Rights of Way but will include secondments to other teams and enrolment at Taunton College.
- A two-week attendance at the college is required as part of this course.
- The Countryside Access team sits within our Environment, Transport and Infrastructure Directorate and looks after nearly 2,200 miles of public rights of way. It is responsible for maintenance and enforcement, improvement, and legal definition work across the network, as well as promoting countryside access and biodiversity.
- As well as this, you will have the ability to liaise with the public and landholders to find solutions to varied issues, and work with contractors, user groups, external agencies and volunteers to ensure our rights of way are safe and accessible.
- Understanding of and enthusiasm for rights of way and countryside access
- Willingness to undertake short term secondments with other teams and travel to Taunton College for annual two-week academic inputs
- Ability to drive or otherwise visit inaccessible locations, with equipment and sometimes at short notice. Therefore, a valid driving license and access to a car is required
- Flexibility to take on varied tasks and projects connected to Countryside Access
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather and sometimes in difficult terrain
- Flexibility to occasionally work weekends and evenings
Qualification & Experience:
- You will be organised, with good IT and communication skills.
Company: Surrey County Council
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Surrey, England
Application Deadline: N/AApply Here