About the job
The AWS Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) Modernization team is looking for engineers to help us define and build the future of computing. You will play a critical role in design and implementation of a strategic product for Amazon AWS to help increase cloud adoption. You will work closely with Amazon technologies, and you will be developing services to assist Enterprise customers in modernizing their applications and migrating to AWS. As a member of the EC2 team, you’ll work alongside outstanding engineers and leaders, refine product requirements with product and program management, define architecture, and be a leader in the implementation and launch of new products.
This is your opportunity to own major deliverables and all aspects of the development cycle: scoping, design, implementation, and testing. You will be encouraged to exercise your judgment in proactively determining and recommending the best features, designs, and support models based on business objectives, timelines, and resource constraints.
Key job responsibilities
- Writing high quality C++/.NET (or any equivalent OO language) code for product initiatives and feature development
- Work closely with product management and customers to holistically understand business and user requirements; Continuously improve own products to provide software which users really love to work with
- Break down high level use cases into concrete technical implementation steps and identify the best solution for a given problem
- Responsible for end-to-end feature development from requirements, design and development, test, maintenance and support of software artifacts
- Architecture, design, proof-of-concepts and implement projects end to end with high quality.
- Ability to handle complex projects, large area of scope and complete ownership.
- Communicating with customers, technical teams and defining technical strategy.
- Maintain current technical knowledge to support rapidly changing technology, always on a look out for new technologies and work with management and development team in bringing new technologies
- Develop and mentor other team members
About The Team
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Work / Life Balance
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life – both in and outside of work.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every 2.5 months. We don’t like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don’t get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship / Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Several years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
Hands on programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
Experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar (or equivalent working experience)
Solid hands-on development experience in C++ or .NET.
Be a self-starter and motivated to take ownership of projects and drive tasks to completion
Good verbal and written communication skills with an ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
Experience hiring and mentoring junior engineers
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
Company – Amazon Dev Centre (London) Ltd
Job ID: A2060197