About the job
As a Barclays Developer, you will be acting as a software engineer and work on the implementation of logic used to detect Financial Crime activities across large-scale data sets. You will be involved in sourcing and preparing the data for ingestion, processing the data into networks, implementing scoring models to produce alerts and working on external integrations. You’ll utilize the Scala programming language across both Spark (on Hadoop) and Spring (on OpenShift) frameworks.
Barclays is one of the world’s largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life.
If you would like some flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We’re flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally are able to request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances
Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
What will you be doing?
- Implementing the new functionality that will be used to detect all kinds of financial crime activities
- Creating, re-using, and extending data engineering pipelines using Scala
- Deploying the code to both batch (Hadoop) and real-time (Spring) components of the application
- Developing technically robust, performant, easy-to-maintain and easy-to-scale solutions
- Documenting everything you do, reviewing, and providing feedback to documentation created by other members of the team
- Providing accurate estimates to develop well-engineered code that meets acceptance criteria
- Working closely with other team members in a globally-distributed team
- Providing support for the live applications and conducting code reviews, provide constructive feedback, take ownership for code quality
What We’re Looking For
- Experience developing applications on Linux and Experience working with modern CI/CD pipelines
- Expertise in designing and engineering solutions in Scala, Java or C# and working with at least one SQL and one noSQL database
- Experience developing applications on Linux and working with modern CI/CD pipelines
- Great problem-solving skills and a curious mind
Skills That Will Help You In The Role
- Experience designing and engineering big data pipelines using Scala and Spark
- Experience deploying applications to run on Apache Hadoop
- Experience deploying applications on Docker containers
- Experience with the Quantexa platform, completion of Quantexa developer accreditation
Where will you be working?
Our new state-of-the-art Campus, right in the heart of Glasgow is a hub of creative collaboration. A place where everyone can bring their true selves to work and reach their full potential. Home to 5,000 of our colleagues, our Tradeston campus will support the community in more ways than one – by creating thousands of new career opportunities and celebrating local artists. A short walk from Central Station on the south of the Clyde, it will be a key location for the Barclays business that will deepen our ties with the city and its communities.