About the job
As a Barclays Platform Developer you will design and build core parts of the platform including systems for data access, software build and release, monitoring and observability; as well as business-enabling libraries for data-wrangling, UI widgets and any other foundational technologies. You will be “hands on”, coding and solving problems, managing your own tasks and showing initiative and personal leadership.
Barclays is one of the world’s largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
We are currently operating in a hybrid working environment, meaning that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
What will you be doing?
- Designing and developing micro services infrastructure such as authentication, authorization and service discovery
- Streaming and storage data solutions for large volumes of market and trading data
- Working on continuous delivery pipeline to be used by quantitative analysts
- Ensuring control cloud infrastructure in production and development environments using Infrastructure as Code
- Participating in design and code reviews for other team members as and when required
- Assisting quantitative analyst teams to implement and productionize model driven machine learning tools and technology
- Helping our dedicated IT Operations team to support the production system when necessary
What We’re Looking For
- Experience in developing software projects using a high level language, e.g. Python or Java, a database, and deploying on Linux. Takes pride in building high quality code
- Communicates professionally and clearly, both verbally and in writing. Capable of working with remote colleagues and establishing good relationships
- High intrinsic motivation & positive attitude. Willing to engage with complex or uncertain situations
- Enthusiasm for modern technical practices, including Agile, DevOps, CI/CD etc
Skills That Will Help You In The Role
- Working experience with Python, including data science libraries (pandas, numpy etc.)
- Experience with relevant technologies, including containers and container orchestration (docker/K8s), a public cloud platform (preferably AWS) schedulers
- Experience in workflow orchestration (Airflow) and streaming platforms (Kafka)
- Experience building a data lake with Hadoop ecosystem.
Where will you be working?
Our new state-of-the-art Campus, right in the heart of Glasgow is a hub of creative collaboration. A place where everyone can bring their true selves to work and reach their full potential. Home to 5,000 of our colleagues, our Tradeston campus will support the community in more ways than one – by creating thousands of new career opportunities and celebrating local artists. A short walk from Central Station on the south of the Clyde, it will be a key location for the Barclays business that will deepen our ties with the city and its communities.