About the job
Combining the strengths of the UK’s most-awarded production company and a world-class distributor, BBC Studios works with the best British writers, directors and programme-makers and crafts over 2500 hours of content every year. We’re a one-stop-shop that touches every aspect of the value chain from production to exploitation – whether that’s financing or developing a show, producing it or selling it globally. And we make sure it gets to you no matter how you access it: through linear channels or digital platforms, consumer products, live events and much more. Find out more about the world class content that BBC Studios makes at bbcstudios.com
We are looking for an experienced Lead Architect to help us drive world class products and platforms through technology offerings to successfully enable our commercial business globally.
The Lead Architect will work as part of the Commercial Business systems reporting to a Lead Domain Enterprise Architect.
You will have expertise around commercial line of business, covering Investment, Marketing, Sales (including Deals), Rights, Royalties, Corporate Services, and ideally have media industry experience.
Your contribution will help the BBC reach wider audiences worldwide and enable the BBC to produce more quality content it’s famous for.
This is an exciting time to join as we’re driving a large number of transformation activities; impacting all areas of the business; from investment through sales. We’re keen to get your experience to improve agility and deal with an ever more complex and continuously changing media landscape.
To support this transformation, BBC Studios Global Technology is entering a period of significant and exciting change, including the Architecture team in order to define a BBC fit for the next generation
- Work with the Product Executives, Business SMEs and others technology functions to assess and understand business needs and aspirations, translating them into high-level solutions, products, or services
- Govern the solution architecture within the initiatives (programme & projects), via internal and external delivery mechanisms, and subsequent governance forums
- Produce and own relevant architecture artefacts aligned to the enterprise visions, roadmaps and principles
- Strong understanding of architecture best practices, standards and so that can design the solution architectures that enables the strategic transformation
- Design adaptable, scalable solution designs, either individually, or via leading teams
- Maintain a good understanding of Media industry and technology trends and innovations to both inform business opportunities, and influence internal and external partner roadmaps to support the business and IT change plans.
Are you the right candidate?
- Domain experience across commercial line of business– ideally across sales, marketing, content supply chain functions
- Strong communication skills, and ability to work with business and senior stakeholders to understand needs and communicate technology options and opportunities.
- Strong technical, hands-on approach, knowledge and ability.
- Awareness of financial and business implications of your architecture choices and alternatives
- Negotiating and conflict-handling skills to ensure the best outcome for the BBC in the face of complexity and uncertainty
- Understanding of security, risk and compliance frameworks, disaster recovery, high availability architectures, hardware, operating systems and networking connectivity
- Active learner, both within your technical and professional area of expertise, & taking control of your own career development
- A track record of owning and delivering solutions across a broad spectrum of the project deliveries, involving mixes of internal, offshore and vendors – via both Agile and Waterfall delivery styles.
- Experience in Cloud Platforms (Azure, AWS) and platforms such as Salesforce
- Able to work independently and as part of a wider team which transform technology and business processes
- Media industry experience
- Experience in architectural frameworks, enterprise architecture management and modelling tools
- Agile Frameworks and Design Thinking process
Job Impact Scope
- Strategic dimensions: covering transformation short to mid-term (0-2 years)
- People Management: 0+ direct reports.
Contract type: Permanent Full Time
We are really proud to share that we are a Level 2 Disability Confident Employer and so if you require any reasonable adjustments in order to apply please do contact us on [email protected] with ref: BBC/TP/XXX in the subject.
We advertise all our roles on Evenbreak, the specialist job board for disabled candidates.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application . There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits – We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About The BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here