About the job
The BBC has always been at the forefront of change in the media industry, but today it faces a unique set of challenges in a fast-moving and increasingly competitive media ecosystem.
Within our Finance organisation we have initiated a transformation programme, which will enhance our operating model and adjust our ways of working to improve our efficiency and effectiveness as critical partners to the business. We’re creating a finance model that is fit for the future of the organisation – an empowered and versatile team who provide trusted advice, expert guidance, and proactive management to enable our organisation to achieve its strategic priorities and grow value for our audiences.
One Of The Critical Workstreams Is To Transform Our Current Management Information And Reporting Processes, Where We Have Defined Our Initial Goals As
- Delivery of insightful, flexible business reports supporting the business
- Clarity on roles and responsibility of EFT reporting and forecasting – reflected in effective EFT management
- Adequate skilled resources to support the development, roll out and support of our MI needs
- Clear governance & roadmap to deliver data improvements and MI needs
Therefore, to help us frame and deliver the above goals, we now have exciting opportunity for a Lead Project Manager.
- You’ll work with finance leaders and their teams, our users, and stakeholders, along with our finance systems and technology teams to create a delivery roadmap, define and shape projects and which will deliver our MI and Reporting goals
- You’ll deliver/oversee the delivery of these projects ensuring they meet required quality, deadline, and budget, and deliver the desired outcomes and benefits.
- You’ll also have level of experience across Data Management discipline to help us frame the right data models and frameworks that underpin our MI and Reporting outputs
Are you the right candidate?
- Demonstrable experience of managing a major project, a portfolio of projects or the teams delivering them. Typical indicators at this level are:
- A major project (>100 people-months of implementation effort); OR
- Management of a portfolio of repeatable projects, related by their domain (i.e., new broadcast facilities).
- Projects budgets or benefits which are measured in £10s of millions
- Ability to effectively communicate and reach agreement with difficult stakeholders, navigating ambiguous, changeable, and complex environments to achieve desired outcomes.
- Demonstrable record of successful project delivery (from defining and shaping to handover – including preparing business cases, leading teams, budgeting, planning, quality management, problem solving, reporting, managing risk).
- Experience of coordinating with professional functions to provide an approach that includes all factors pertinent to the project success e.g., finance, human resources, systems, and technology
- Experience working in the data management field
- Experience of working with data/database administration, SQL/data programming and structured querying language
- Knowledge of data modelling and understanding of different data structures and their benefits and limitations under particular use cases.
- Excellent communication (spoken, written, listening), social, interpersonal, and influencing skills.
- Experience in developing business cases and supporting delivery plans.
- A recognised project management qualification (e.g., PRINCE2, APM PMQ, MSP, Scrum Master)
Contract type: 1x Fixed Term Contract/Attachment until July 2024
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application . There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits – We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About The BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here
- Our BBC Values
- Job Description