About the job
BBC R&D has recently established an Automation Applied Research Area focussed on the use of Machine Learning across the BBC. Automation works closely with other BBC R&D Applied Research Areas, BBC Product and Technology Groups and senior business stakeholders across the BBC to accelerate Machine Learning based innovation.
Reporting to the Head of Automation, this role will lead a team of experts exploring the ML platforms, tools, performance, and sustainability that will underpin the BBC’s approach to Machine Learning innovation. It will ensure that best practice and correct technology choices are downstreamed into R&D ML applications as well as supporting the wider BBC in making the right strategic decisions for its future ML technology.
BBC R&D has five applied research areas focussed on Audiences, Automation, Distribution, Infrastructure and Production who are looking to solve some of the most interesting challenges in Media and Broadcasting; as well as our Commercial, Partnerships & Engagement team who ensure we’re collaborating with the right external partners and optimising commercial returns through the exploitation of our Intellectual Property and grant funding. Our work supports the BBC’s current ambition as well as informing future strategy. If you’re excited by the prospect of working in an innovative environment with smart and supportive colleagues, then BBC R&D is the place for you.
This is a hands-on role. Your key responsibilities will be:
Build and lead a team of ML engineers to develop an infrastructure to manage ML lifecycle through experimentation, deployment, and testing.
Own the Automation MLOps strategy, roadmap, and backlog.
Provide leadership and guidance on the delivery of ML models from prototypes to production, mentor and coach team members on ML engineering best practises; work alongside researchers to enable BBC to benefit more rapidly from fundamental ML research.
Contribute to the design of ML systems and infrastructure to shape how ML is used across the BBC.
Develop relationships with pan-BBC and external contributors and stakeholders. You will need to bring to life long-term ambitions to secure required support and buy-in for tangible and intangible benefits and outcomes.
Focus on ensuring our ML technology delivers on performance, cost and sustainability goals and is supportive of the BBC’s responsible and ethical ML objectives.
Work with our Technology Strategy and Governance team to identify and communicate strategic investment decisions required to mature the BBC’s ML technology in line with business needs.
Are you the right candidate?
- Solid understanding of machine learning concepts and algorithms
- Experience deploying machine learning solutions
- Expert knowledge of Python programming and machine learning libraries (Scikit-learn, TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch, MxNet, etc.)
- Experience implementing ML automation, MLOps (scalable deployment practices aimed to deploy and maintain machine learning models in production reliably and efficiently) and related tools (e.g., MLflow, Kubeflow, Airflow, Sagemaker)
- Experience working in accordance with DevOps principles, and with industry deployment best practices using CI/CD tools and infrastructure as code (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform)
- Experience in at least one cloud platform (e.g., AWS, GCP, Azure) and associated machine learning services, e.g., Amazon SageMaker, Azure ML, Databricks.
Contract type: Permanent – Full time
Location: UK wide
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application . There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits – We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About The BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here
- BBC Values