About the job
We are looking for a talented Senior Software Engineer, with a good balance of technical and communication skills.You will be working with project, product, business analyst and technical leads to understand requirements and implement suitable technical solutions. You will also liaise with our editorial and operational teams, to take ownership of incidents and provide timely resolutions.
The team is currently made of 3 engineers and is looking to expand. Comprising a unique mix of front-end, back-end and broadcasting expertise, we are a highly collaborative team. We value our staff, offering regular training and development opportunities, as well as ‘innovation time’ – allowing dedicated time for self-improvement, learning and innovation. We take the time to reflect and improve on how we are working through team retrospectives and individual mentoring. We are a hard-working team who is supportive, who cares about each other and promotes a healthy work-life balance. We offer opportunities for flexible working and a friendly working environment.
Live Streaming is an important part of the BBC’s digital first strategy, with record breaking audiences coming to the BBC to follow live events such as Glastonbury and Wimbledon, as well as the Women’s Euros and Breaking News. Silver is a service that enables content creators to quickly and easily live stream video from anywhere in the world to the BBC website and social platforms. We work with our own editorial development teams and content producers from across the BBC, from News to Children’s, as well as Sport and Nature, finding new ways to enable them to provide engaging video content online and reach new audiences.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will help to set the technical direction of the team, developing and representing our best practice. You will be a passionate and experienced engineer with a background in either software or video engineering and be keen to enhance your skills in streaming services and systems. You will be helping to build and improve Silver. This means working on our React web application, our Node API, and our gStreamer Video Mixer. These are all deployed on AWS Cloud infrastructure and using Agile development practices. This makes working with Silver an opportunity to grow a diverse skill set while contributing to the future of the BBC. You will also have the opportunity to shadow and observe the production of live events in real-time, as well as participate in research and design workshops that will go on to shape the look and feel of Silver.
Are you the right candidate?
Here are the technical skills we are looking for, you may have experience of some, but not necessarily all of them
- Proven ability in designing and writing front-end web applications(ReactJS/ Typescript/ MobX )
- Knowledge of stylesheets and stylesheet compilers ( CSS / SCSS )
- Expert in writing appropriate unit tests using Jest and other automated test-driven techniques for ensuring code quality and coverage (TDD)
- Good knowledge of CI/CD & cloud technologies (such as AWS) to implement deployments and following best practices
Other desirable skills that we will take into consideration are:
- Solid domain knowledge of the different technologies required in each step of the chain for online video streaming
- Experience in OOP languages such as Python and Java
- Familiarity with various video encoding and processing tools (such as FFmpeg, Wowza, and gStreamer)
- Experienced in mentoring people in a highly collaborative environment
Contract type: Permanent Full time
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application . There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits – We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18 th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18 fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About The BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here