About the job
Job Req ID:
Snowhill, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Competitive with great benefits
All available locations for this role are: Birmingham, Manchester, London, Leeds & Bristol (Hybrid Model)
BT has a key role in British society, fostering change and leading technology innovation. From delivering the Olympics, to supporting the emergency services, to investing more into research than any other UK technology company, we take pride in everything we do – and in the people who work here.
We’re now a global company operating at the forefront of the information age, employing 90,000 people in 180 countries. And we’re on a mission. Guided by our core values of Personal, Simple and Brilliant our goal is to help customers, communities and businesses overcome barriers and release their potential.
So, if you’re interested in the power of potential, why not join us today and release yours? You can read more here about what it’s like to work at BT.
About This Role
The successful candidate will provide expert level hands on Flutter design and development across multiple systems in the Digital Engineering area with specific responsibility to ensure that solutions are designed to meet the business and customer needs, matching expectations for quality and reliability.
You will participate in the delivery and implementation of both in-house and external solutions via Agile delivery to ensure solutions are compliant with the design and development standards and are fit-for-purpose.
Your responsibility will be to support the achievement of team service level targets by owning the completion of all assigned work requests, including testing, quality checking and delivering all assigned tasks within the agreed time-scales.
You will maximise the business’ potential of BT/EE apps and sites as the most efficient sales and service channel. This will be demonstrated through efficiency and quality of coding and in harnessing new internet and app technologies.
You’ll Have The Following Responsibilities
- Write code from an approved requirement and design in accordance with the expected delivery timeframe and associated quality standards
- Write unit tests and other automated tests
- Peer review software written by team members
- Contribute to tribe improvement initiatives
- Contribute to tribe ceremonies (stand-up, sprint planning, demo, retrospective)
- Drive forward items from the tribe improvement initiatives
- Contribute to technical direction and strategy of the tribe
- Contribute to technical responses of impact assessments for business propositions
- Investigation and resolution of production incidents
- Deliver tooling improvements for the delivery pipeline
- Technical design of solutions to business requirements
- Engage / influence the roadmap of our vendors’ products
- Contribute to internal and external conferences/meetups
- Experience of working within a true ‘DevOps’ environment, involving automated testing, continuous delivery practices and a high level of collaboration
- Experience of using Jenkins and tools such as JIRA, Confluence and Bitbucket
- Experience of a range of relevant technical languages from Dart (Flutter), Objective C and Swift (iOS), to Android (Java) and Kotlin development.
- Software design and development experience integrated with web services. Experience with RESTful Services and OpenAPI advantageous.
- Have a good level of knowledge / experience of Agile software development, and supporting best practices: TDD, Pair Programming etc.
- Have a good knowledge of unit testing frameworks and supporting technologies.
You’ll Have The Following Skills & Experience
- Have 3 or more years commercial knowledge / experience of at least one of Flutter, iOS or Android development, and ideally some knowledge of Flutter. We are currently transitioning to Flutter as our strategic technology for App development, but relevant experience in Native iOS or Android development and willingness to learn Flutter would be acceptable.
- Ability to successfully collaborate as part of an Agile development team.
- Good communication skills – written and verbal
- Ability to contribute to ongoing process improvement activities in the team and look for ways to make a difference.
- Communication of complicated technical requirements to the business leaders and project teams in non-technical language.
- Communication of technical requirements within project teams.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills to engineer solutions to business requirements.
- Good interpersonal and teamworking skills.
- Ability to manage their own time and assist others to meet sprint commitments in terms of functionality delivered
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
- 10% on target bonus
- Life Assurance
- Pension scheme
- Option to join the Healthcare Cash Plan or other benefits such as dental insurance, gym memberships etc.
- 50% off BT and EE mobile pay monthly or SIM only plans
- Exclusive colleague discounts on our latest and greatest BT broadband packages
- BT TV, including BT Sport and the NOW Entertainment membership, and 25% off NOW Sport, Cinema and Kids
- 30% discount for friends and family on EE mobile pay monthly and SIM only plans
About British Telecom
We’re the leading communications provider with customers in 180 countries. Across the world we enable customer’s digital transformations so they can thrive. our focus is simple: be the global provider-of-choice for managed network and IT infrastructure services..