About the job
Job Req ID:
Whitehall, London, United Kingdom
Front End Developer (AWS)
London or Bury Manchester
Security isn’t always the first thing that comes to mind when you think of BT, but when it comes to keeping everyone safely connected, We Are The Protectors. We deal with thousands of cyber-attacks every day, so that millions of people can safely go about their daily lives and run their businesses. We deliver vital work at scale, with real breadth and impact. We connect for good.
Why this Job Matters:
Engineering is a large multi-disciplined ‘professional services’ engineering practice. The team is organised in key customer-focused capabilities which each have sub-capability areas comprising single or multiple engineering delivery projects.
Our Engineering mantra is “Technical Excellence in Engineering” and we deliver some amazing technical capabilities for our customers which can only happen if we recruit, train and support our people.
This is a exciting opportunity to join one of our software delivery teams, working alongside our customers and partners to work on key customer services.
The projects covers a wide range of skills, technologies and platforms, touching bespoke product development, data processing, analysis and visualisation. We cover a wide range of skills including:
- UI/UX frontend developers working with our customers to develop bespoke tools
- DevOps engineers managing development estate, system monitoring and automating deployments
What your responsibilities will be:
- Perform a broad range of complex technical or professional work activities in an Agile team.
- Responsible for software development and software testing.
- Communicate with the customers, gather their requirements and obtain feedback.
- Responsible for upskilling the less experienced members of the team.
- Provide useful input in meetings and challenges the team with new ideas.
- Be a problem solver, enabling data insight to solve our real-world technical problems in an agile environment
- Plan your own work to meet given objectives and processes.
- Make technical decisions which influence the success of projects and team objectives.
- Perform a broad range of complex technical or professional work activities, in a variety of contexts.
- Most importantly, self-motivated and able to learn on the job.
Technical skills to include one or more of the following:
- UX design experience
- Ansible, Docker, Jenkins, git
- CI / CD pipelines with Jenkins
- Automated testing experience e.g Cypress
- Knowledge of Agile and DevOps.
- Security Clearance: A minimum of DV level of National Security Vetting will be required for this role
- Have some responsibility for reviewing the work of others.
What’s in it for you?
- Career progression in BT Security and across BT with our internal development programme
- Competitive salary
- Location: London
- Working requirements: On Site full time
- Weekly Hours: 37.5
- Position Type: Full Time
- Contract: Permanent
- Discounted BT Broadband, TV & mobile packages and BT products
- On target Bonus
- Share options and 10% pension contribution
- Professional development and paid for industry certifications/qualifications
- Flexible benefits/rewards including dental insurance, healthcare, gym memberships etc.
- Well-being support for you and your family
- 3 days paid volunteering a year
- Flexible and smart working (subject to business needs)
- Due to the sensitive nature of this role you may be required to undergo DV (Developed Vetting) level Security Clearance (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levels/national-security-vetting-clearance-levels). An allowance of £5k per annum may be payable monthly while you hold this DV and continue to work in a role that requires that level of security clearance. The terms of this allowance will be made available if you are successful in being recruited into this role.
There are two things that we want to share with anyone considering joining us.
Firstly, we’ve got big ambitions for our colleagues and the future of the organisation. These include our vision that inclusion and accessibility drive every conversation we have and every decision we make. We want our workforce to fully represent the communities and customers we serve, because a diverse business is a better business. We value every colleague, their diversity and the contribution that they make. When we say you’re welcome at BT, we really mean it.
Secondly, the one thing the pandemic has taught us is that a lot of current and future colleagues, where and when possible, want to embrace hybrid working. Therefore, we are introducing Smart Working at BT. Smart Working means having the flexibility to choose, as a team, how and where you work depending on your team’s deliverables and needs; when you are at your shared core location to connect with others and when not. It may not be for every role, and, as part of the recruitment process, you’ll have the chance to discuss Smart Working and how it might work for the job you are applying for.
Security is one of the fastest growing parts of our global organisation. We protect our networks from more than 6,500 cyber-attacks each day, invest over £40m in research each year and employ more than 3,000 people – which makes us the largest private cyber security employer in the UK. With incredible opportunities to learn, develop and grow your skills, we’ll invest in you, nurture potential and shape your future – whatever your background or experience. You can find out more about Security in BT here
In today’s world, safe and secure digital connections have never been more vital. You’ll be joining a global company operating at the forefront of the information age: BT employs 90,000 people in 180 countries. With huge scale, we’re capable of achieving great things, striving to be personal, simple, and brilliant for our customers whilst creating an inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds can succeed. Play your part. Make a difference. We are the Protectors.
How To Apply
It’s easy to apply online; you just need a copy of your up-to-date CV and to follow the step-by step process. Don’t worry if you need to make changes – you’ll have the opportunity to review and edit your work on the final page. We look forward to receiving your application!