About the job
Job Req ID:
Tewksbury Road, Cheltenham, United Kingdom
BT Security ensures that the world continues to connect safely and free from cyberattacks. Every day, our vital work impacts upon millions of organisations and individuals. We ensure nation-states, governments, public services, emergency services, armed forces, people, and businesses stay safely connected, as well as providing security solutions to public and private sector customers across 180 countries.
About This Role
Our team maintain and develop a big data cyber monitoring platform which ensures the information security for one of our major customers. Comprised of Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana, built on a large remote Linux estate, the platform supports a suite of tools for storing, enriching, querying and visualising large amounts of data. The requirements can change at short notice, so the team uses a DevOps methodology to react to these changes and continue to provide the best customer service.
In this role you will be a key driver in improving our customer’s cyber capability. The customer will look to you as a technical expert for a range of activities and you will have the opportunity to develop your skills in many areas. You will be a self-motivated individual, with the ability to make changes that improve our services and will be involved in short-, medium- and long-term strategy for this customer and wider BT security policy.
You’ll Have The Following Responsibilities
- Secondary roles include working with experts to understand data ingested into the Cyber Platform. This can lead on to mixture of configuring and modifying processing tooling to optimise the platform and introduce new data types and being able to perform Protocol Analysis. Examples of technologies you will get exposed here include Logstash, Elastic Search, Suricata (Snort, Yara rules), Wireshark, Kafka, with opportunities to learn or utilise network protocols skills, programming skills (C, Ruby, Bash) and Cyber Security Skills.
- Other ongoing activities will be working with Platform sub teams to introduce new technologies to allow continuous development, maintenance, and enhancement.
- Directly engaging with a remote team of end users / analysts to discuss and capture requirements.
Technical Skills & Experience
Along with working with our customers and stakeholders, preferred skills include experience of, or exposure to, the following technologies:
- Preferably knowledge of at least one of React, Angular, Node Frameworks.
- Directly engaging with a remote team of end users to discuss and capture requirements and iteratively develop solutions.
- Can work independently or with little support on technical implementation once requirements understood.
Has or wiliness to learn new technologies and perform tasks in Cyber Processing and Big Data domains and / or direct experience of:
- DevOps Big Data platforms
- Kibana, use of queries and some plugin creation
- Elasticsearch, working with large datasets;
- Logstash, management, configuration, and improvements;
- Git for software development and repositories
- Continuous Integration tooling
- Platform automation and deployment – Puppet / Foreman / Docker Kubernetes Orchestration tools such as Puppet and Foreman;
- Data streaming technologies such as Kafka.
- Networking and Protocol Analysis
This role is a unique and exciting opportunity to work in a challenging environment where you can bring your own experience and expertise to make a difference to our customers. In return you’ll learn from a highly skilled team and develop your skills in big data applications and cybersecurity toolsets.
Working 37.5 hours a week, Monday to Friday within our core operating hours, there is local flexibility on start / finish times, with some of your time spent on our local customer site.
You will be expected to obtain and maintain a UKIC DV clearance, so if you don’t currently have one, we will need to undertake pre security checks before starting the role with us.
What’s in it for you?
- Career progression in BT Security and across BT with our internal development programme
- Competitive salary
- Location: Cheltenham
- Working requirements: On Site full time
- Weekly Hours: 37.5
- Position Type: Full Time
- Contract: Permanent
- Discounted BT Broadband, TV & mobile packages and BT products
- On target Bonus
- Share options and 10% pension contribution
- Professional development and paid for industry certifications/qualifications
- Flexible benefits/rewards including dental insurance, healthcare, gym memberships etc.
- Well-being support for you and your family
- 3 days paid volunteering a year
- Flexible and smart working (subject to business needs)
- Due to the sensitive nature of this role you may be required to undergo DV (Developed Vetting) level Security Clearance (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levels/national-security-vetting-clearance-levels). An allowance of £5k per annum may be payable monthly while you hold this DV and continue to work in a role that requires that level of security clearance. The terms of this allowance will be made available if you are successful in being recruited into this role.
There are two things that we want to share with anyone considering joining us.
Firstly, we’ve got big ambitions for our colleagues and the future of the organisation. These include our vision that inclusion and accessibility drive every conversation we have and every decision we make. We want our workforce to fully represent the communities and customers we serve, because a diverse business is a better business. We value every colleague, their diversity and the contribution that they make. When we say you’re welcome at BT, we really mean it.
Secondly, the one thing the pandemic has taught us is that a lot of current and future colleagues, where and when possible, want to embrace hybrid working. Therefore, we are introducing Smart Working at BT. Smart Working means having the flexibility to choose, as a team, how and where you work depending on your team’s deliverables and needs; when you are at your shared core location to connect with others and when not. It may not be for every role, and, as part of the recruitment process, you’ll have the chance to discuss Smart Working and how it might work for the job you are applying for.
Security is one of the fastest growing parts of our global organisation. We protect our networks from more than 6,500 cyber-attacks each day, invest over £40m in research each year and employ more than 3,000 people – which makes us the largest private cyber security employer in the UK. With incredible opportunities to learn, develop and grow your skills, we’ll invest in you, nurture potential and shape your future – whatever your background or experience. You can find out more about Security in BT here
In today’s world, safe and secure digital connections have never been more vital. You’ll be joining a global company operating at the forefront of the information age: BT employs 90,000 people in 180 countries. With huge scale, we’re capable of achieving great things, striving to be personal, simple, and brilliant for our customers whilst creating an inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds can succeed. Play your part. Make a difference. We are the Protectors.
How To Apply
It’s easy to apply online; you just need a copy of your up-to-date CV and to follow the step-by step process. Don’t worry if you need to make changes – you’ll have the opportunity to review and edit your work on the final page. We look forward to receiving your application!