About the job
BT has a key role in British society, fostering change and leading technology innovation. From delivering the Olympics, to supporting the emergency services, to investing more into research than any other UK technology company, we take pride in everything we do – and in the people who work here.
We’re now a global company operating at the forefront of the information age, employing 90,000 people in 180 countries. And we’re on a mission. Guided by our core values of Personal, Simple and Brilliant our goal is to help customers, communities and businesses overcome barriers and release their potential.
So, if you’re interested in the power of potential, why not join us today and release yours? You can read more here about what it’s like to work at BT.
About this role
Our ability to deliver brilliant personalised experiences for all of our 28 Petabytes of BT wealth of data and 30m customers is fundamental to our future success. As a business we are investing extensively in the automation of our operations and networks, and in building our base management and data capabilities. This will allow us to take better decisions with data and to act on them in an automated way across all our customer interactions.
Data driven automation and decision making has never been more important to BT. We’re creating the best personal experiences for our customers to help them stay connected, and that mission is all underpinned by high quality, low latency data. This role will play a critical part in the creation and be part of BT Digital build data pipelines, data systems and the data products built on top.
As part of a team of highly skilled data engineers, you will create and maintain our logical data models, integrating data from multiple data sources into a central cloud repository. You will apply data cleansing and data standardisation rules, providing clear documentation of the business rules embedded in the system, with the potential of solving data quality issues through your team. You will work closely with the wider team to understand what the data journey needs to look like and work closely with the Data Architect team, Data scientists and AI team to develop our products and services. You will write and maintain data engineering user documentation to provide transparency and maintain the knowledge base within the team.
You’ll have the following responsibilities
- Applies specialist data expertise to develop and advise approach on a range of complex, high impact and data solutions a services.
- Assures data availability and quality in Digital and across all CFU’s for BT.
- Helps to resolve technical problems.
- Proactively identifies new potential data sources and assess feasibility of ingesting.
- Develops tangible and ongoing standardisation, simplification and efficiency of engineering processes, reviewing and revising continuous improvement opportunities.
- Assures a high quality and comprehensive data flow and manage a team that provides a consumption layer where the business has access to all the data it needs.
- Ensures all data is compliant.
- Ensures that all data acquired is fully described/understood and communicated using appropriate tools.
- Productionise any tactical data feeds, including documentation.
- Adopt new technologies and drive business efficiency by delivering effective data solutions.
Essential skills & experience
- Technical knowledge of complex (and simple) data architectures
- Working knowledge of the concepts and principles of data engineering
- Good understanding of Data Modelling techniques.
- Good understanding of cloud based data platforms like Data Lake and lake houses while also having knowledge of tradition Data warehouse systems.
- Sound awareness of Data Management best practice, including data lifecycle management.
- Experienced in developing and productionised python based Data Engineering solutions.
- Extensive skills in SQL, both at production grade and at analytical level, gained through intensive application in a commercial business environment.
- Can deliver complex big data solutions with structured and unstructured data.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for all levels of an organisation
- Collaborate to identify how work activities across the teams are related and highlight inefficiencies. You help to remove barriers and find the resources or support needed to improve processes.
- Some knowledge of Cloud Computing patterns, workflows and services; and how they relate to a big data platform.
10% on target bonus.
25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays), increasing with service.
BT Pension scheme, minimum 5% Employee contribution, BT contribution 10%.
Huge range of flexible benefits including cycle to work, childcare vouchers, healthcare, season ticket loan.
Option to join BT Shares Saving schemes.
Discounted BT products including free broadband and BT Sport.
Access to 100’s of retail discounts including the BT shop.
About British Telecom
We’re the leading communications provider with customers in 180 countries. Across the world we enable customer’s digital transformations so they can thrive. our focus is simple: be the global provider-of-choice for managed network and IT infrastructure services..