About the job
Job Req ID:
Marlesham Heath, Ipswich, United Kingdom
Platform – Senior Software Engineer
Ipswich, Cheltenham, or London
You’ve got opportunities
In your role as a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll work closely with customers and bring your deep technical expertise to bear on interesting and challenging problems. You will be an experienced software engineer, proposing and designing innovative software solutions, solving real-word issues for customers, and leading the delivery in an agile manner. You will engage directly with the customer to build exactly what they need to time/cost/quality. You will have the opportunity to learn about a wide range of software languages, on-premise and cloud technologies using Agile and DevOps practices. The solutions you will create will utilise the latest technologies, demonstrate innovation and thought leadership, and provide brilliant outcomes for customers.
What you’ll do:
- Own and contribute to the delivery of specific software solutions, components and tasks within projects.
- Engage and foster relationships with the customer, suppliers, professional networks, subject matter experts.
- Actively contribute to team knowledge sharing, performing mentoring and coaching.
- Report to both a project manager and the Platform team lead, providing estimates for work and delivery dates.
- Own high-level design, architectures, visions for software solutions which can deliver against customer requirements
- Be hands on in the design, development, and testing of the solution. This could include the specification of the system, choice of technologies, creation of data models, implementation, configuration, development, and testing.
- Be part of a team contributing to the end-to-end technical delivery, understanding how the solution is progressing
- Work with a range of platforms including on-prem, cloud or hybrid models
- Ensuring security requirements are met with the solutions that are created
- Be self-driven, able to get to grips with new technology when needed and demonstrate independent research and learning.
- Demonstrate excellent problem-solving abilities and able to work through issues in a logical manner, documenting solutions as required.
- Understand and have experience of designing overall software solutions.
- Understand and experience of container based services and a good understanding of the Linux Operating System.
- Understand and have experience of Infrastructure-as-code tools/patterns and Configuration Management eg, Puppet, Ansible, Terraform or similar).
- Have a detailed understanding of system monitoring, metrics, logging, and audit technologies.
- Have experience of working and leading tasks using a DevOps way of working.
- Have experience of leading small to medium sized software development teams.
- Have experience of continuous improvement and process optimisation.
You might even:
- AWS Certified
- Have knowledge of cloud and hybrid data processing architectures.
- Have experience of owning the delivery of projects against Time, Cost and Quality metrics.
- Have experience of estimating, planning, and costing projects and tasks.
- Have experience of managing customer requirements and expectations.
- Have experience contributing and leading technical workshops with customers to elaborate requirements, designs, and architectures.
What’s in it for you?
- Career progression in BT Security and across BT with our internal development programme
- Competitive salary
- Location: Ipswich, Cheltenham, or London
- Working requirements: On Site full time
- Weekly Hours: 37.5
- Position Type: Full Time
- Contract: Permanent
- Discounted BT Broadband, TV & mobile packages and BT products
- On target Bonus
- Share options and 10% pension contribution
- Professional development and paid for industry certifications/qualifications
- Flexible benefits/rewards including dental insurance, healthcare, gym memberships etc.
- Well-being support for you and your family
- 3 days paid volunteering a year
- Flexible and smart working (subject to business needs)
- Due to the sensitive nature of this role you may be required to undergo DV (Developed Vetting) level Security Clearance (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levels/national-security-vetting-clearance-levels). An allowance of £5k per annum may be payable monthly while you hold this DV and continue to work in a role that requires that level of security clearance. The terms of this allowance will be made available if you are successful in being recruited into this role.
There are two things that we want to share with anyone considering joining us.
Firstly, we’ve got big ambitions for our colleagues and the future of the organisation. These include our vision that inclusion and accessibility drive every conversation we have and every decision we make. We want our workforce to fully represent the communities and customers we serve, because a diverse business is a better business. We value every colleague, their diversity and the contribution that they make. When we say you’re welcome at BT, we really mean it.
Secondly, the one thing the pandemic has taught us is that a lot of current and future colleagues, where and when possible, want to embrace hybrid working. Therefore, we are introducing Smart Working at BT. Smart Working means having the flexibility to choose, as a team, how and where you work depending on your team’s deliverables and needs; when you are at your shared core location to connect with others and when not. It may not be for every role, and, as part of the recruitment process, you’ll have the chance to discuss Smart Working and how it might work for the job you are applying for.
Security is one of the fastest growing parts of our global organisation. We protect our networks from more than 6,500 cyber-attacks each day, invest over £40m in research each year and employ more than 3,000 people – which makes us the largest private cyber security employer in the UK. With incredible opportunities to learn, develop and grow your skills, we’ll invest in you, nurture potential and shape your future – whatever your background or experience. You can find out more about Security in BT here
In today’s world, safe and secure digital connections have never been more vital. You’ll be joining a global company operating at the forefront of the information age: BT employs 90,000 people in 180 countries. With huge scale, we’re capable of achieving great things, striving to be personal, simple, and brilliant for our customers whilst creating an inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds can succeed. Play your part. Make a difference. We are the Protectors.
How To Apply
It’s easy to apply online; you just need a copy of your up-to-date CV and to follow the step-by step process. Don’t worry if you need to make changes – you’ll have the opportunity to review and edit your work on the final page. We look forward to receiving your application!