Software Engineer – Vue / Python
£48,745 plus excellent benefits, including up to 10% employer pension contribution and health & wellbeing incentives (Work Level 6A)
This is a remote first role, with an option to work in the Manchester office for those who want to. You may be asked to occasionally attend meetings in Manchester.
We’re looking for software engineers to join us at Co-op and help us transform how we design, build, and operate our digital products and services. Our goal is to grow a modern, in-house software development team so we can provide better, more innovative services to our members, customers, and communities.
Co-op is a historic organisation, founded on principals of mutuality and support for local communities. Our vision is to co-operate for a fairer world, and collaboration is part of who we are. We work in small, multi-disciplinary teams with an Agile approach, and we value knowledge sharing so we often use pair and ensemble-programming. We also provide career and technical coaching, and we run communities of practice to support continuous learning.
The systems we work on range from cloud-based services, through apps for customers and for colleagues, to tills in stores. This role will be part of our Funeralcare team and would best suit applicants who have good experience working with HTML, CSS, Vue, and Python.
What you’ll do
- work collaboratively to build, maintain, and support Co-op applications and systems
- develop software iteratively
- keep up technical quality to internal standards
- share your knowledge and skills with others in our Communities of Practice
- influence decisions at a team level, including guiding junior engineers
- resolve technical challenges, making sure that solutions fulfil overall business objectives
What you’ll get out of joining us
- opportunities to learn, grow and build a career
- a co-operative team where you can always be your true self
- the ability to work flexibly and remotely, so you can achieve the right balance between work and your personal life
- pension with up to 10% employer contributions
- health and wellbeing incentives and rewards through the YuLife app
- Wagestream – a money management app that gives you access to a percentage of your pay as you earn it
- annual bonus and incentive scheme
- 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service) plus bank holidays
- discounts on Co-op products and services
This role would suit people who have
- experience in a hands-on software engineering role, implementing, and maintaining applications and services
- experience of delivering iteratively towards an end-goal
- good programming skills in HTML, CSS, Vue, and Python
- an interest in learning new development languages and platforms used by the wider team (examples include AWS, Dropwizard & TypeScript)
- experience of tooling and practices for automated build, integration, and deployment
- familiarity with software patterns and practices, such as Object-Orientated or Functional programming
- knowledge of architectural patterns and practices, and the ability to make trade-offs
- exposure to test automation
- experience of, or interest in, working with multiple technology stacks
We know that some candidates are less likely to apply for a role if they don’t meet all the criteria in the job description. At Co-op, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive working environment, so if you’d like to apply for this role but your experience doesn’t quite meet every point, we’d still encourage you to apply. You may be just the right candidate for the job or other roles we have available.
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We know that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances.