Lead Software Engineer – Python / AWS
£64,055 plus excellent benefits, including up to 10% matched pension, private health care (Work Level 5)
This is a remote first role, with an option to work in the Manchester office for those who want to. You may be asked to occasionally attend meetings in Manchester
This role is eligible for Skilled Worker (Tier 2) visa sponsorship
Engineers play a huge part in our Digital Technology team at Co-op. We are the makers. The people who design, build, and operate the products that support our members, customers, and colleagues.
We’re now looking for a lead software engineer to join our engineering community. In this role you’ll have a large focus on supporting delivery via others, rather than being hands-on with the code yourself. You’ll be actively coaching the team, as well as getting involved in daily ceremonies, stand-ups etc. If you have solid technical experience and a desire to see others succeed, we’d love to hear from you.
This role will be part of our Funeralcare team and would best suit applicants who have good experience working with HTML, CSS, Python, and AWS.
What you’ll do
- work collaboratively to build, maintain, and support Co-op applications and systems
- lead small teams of software engineers and support the delivery of their work
- provide technical guidance, coaching and training to other engineers (this is not a line-management role)
- make sure that our technical quality keeps up to our internal standards
- share your knowledge and skills with others in our Communities of Practice
- lead colleagues in smaller product teams as the software engineering subject matter expert
- communicate concepts to a wide range of technical and non-technical colleagues, working with senior business leaders across Co-op
- resolve technical challenges, making sure that solutions fulfil overall business objectives
What you’ll get out of joining us
Here you’ll do work that matters. Co-op is a historic organisation, founded on principals of mutuality and support for local communities. Our vision is to co-operate for a fairer world, and collaboration is part of who we are.
We work in small, multi-disciplinary teams with an Agile approach, and we value knowledge sharing so we often use pair and ensemble-programming. We also provide career and technical coaching, and we run communities of practice to support continuous learning.
You’ll also get a package that includes:
- a competitive salary
- 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service) plus bank holidays
- individual private healthcare
- the ability to work flexibly and fully remote, so you can achieve the right balance between work and your personal life
- annual bonus and incentive scheme
- discounts on Co-op products and services
- pension with up to 10% employer contributions
- opportunities to learn, grow and build a career – chose a path to become a Principal Engineer or Engineering Manager
- health and wellbeing incentives and rewards through the YuLife app
- a co-operative team where you can always be your true self
This role would suit people who have
- significant software engineering experience – implementing and maintaining applications and services
- experience of delivering iteratively towards an end-goal
- the ability to coach and support a team with a desire to see others succeed
- solid programming expertise in HTML, CSS, Python, and AWS
- experience of tooling and practices for automated build, integration, and deployment
- expertise in software patterns and practices, such as Object-Orientated or Functional programming
- a good understanding of architectural patterns and practices, and the ability to make trade-offs between design decisions
- experience and understanding of TDD (test driven development)
- a strong understanding of Agile methodologies and practices
We know that some candidates are less likely to apply for a role if they don’t meet all the criteria in the job description. At Co-op, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive working environment, so if you’d like to apply for this role but your experience doesn’t quite meet every point, we’d still encourage you to apply. You may be just the right candidate for the job or other roles we have available.
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We know that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
We welcome applications from candidates who need Skilled Worker (Tier 2) visas to work in the UK.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances.