Website Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
This is an opportunity to take on a senior strategic leadership role critical to delivering Defra group’s strategic objectives. You will have the vision, drive and expertise to help shape and lead an organisation that focuses on outcomes and constantly challenges itself. We need to build an outstanding finance function that leverages the expertise of the finance profession across Defra group and beyond. Through strong strategic input and an integrated business planning process, we must ensure excellent outcomes and deliver value for money.
- Providing consistent, accurate, robust, timely and relevant financial monitoring, forecasts and value-added analysis to support better management of resources and more effective decision making;
- As a senior, qualified accountancy professional, the post holder will be expected to role model professional leadership and play an active role in GFF activities, leading and acting as an ambassador for the function.
- The post holder will need to exercise leadership across a broad range of corporate responsibilities that connect to Finance across the Department;
- Leadership of the function that delivers a business and user-focused, expert and responsive service that partners with the business, balancing Departmental perspectives with an understanding of local delivery priorities and pressures;
- Responsible for taking decisions and making recommendations on the organisation’s finances. Makes informed and trustworthy judgements through taking account of relevant context and making use of expertise and experience;
- Ensures that Departmental structures and systems align with Government Finance Function (GFF) best practice;
- The post holder will be an important member of the corporate leadership of the Department.
- Responsible for protecting and supporting the Accounting Officer, ensuring appropriate regularity, propriety and stewardship in line with the requirements set out in Managing Public Money;
- An advocate and role model for finance professionalism and credibility;
- Excellent skills in financial analysis, with experience of formulating, leading and implementing cross-cutting strategies, policies and programmes;
- Able to balance strategic financial expertise with operational financial management excellence and fundamental to finance not only at DEFRA, but also within its Arms’ Length Bodies, and across government (with the Government Finance Function).
- Professionally qualified (CCAB, CIMA or equivalent) with a substantial track record of success in a senior finance leadership role delivering financial change and embedding a strong finance culture across a large organisation.
- Engaging and influencing people and organisations from a wide range of backgrounds and experience, including the ability to quickly secure the confidence of senior internal and external stakeholders, board-level executives and the wider organisation.
- Influences confidently, uses strong analytical skills and has the ability to add insight to communicate complex financial positions clearly and compellingly;
- Excellent political skills including the ability to understand and operate and operate within complex, evolving and ambiguous environments, to manage risk and reach sound judgements on a range of strategic and reputational issues with the ability
Qualification & Experience:
- The successful candidate will be a proven finance professional and an experienced leader who has a proven track record for delivery and experience of working in fast paced, large scale and complex environments. You must be able to demonstrate:
- It is essential that in your CV and supporting statement, you give evidence of examples of proven experience and success in each of the 5 essential criteria from the person specification below.
Company: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: London, England
Application Deadline: N/AApply Here