Website Government Legal Department
The Head of Strategy and Governance is a challenging and high-profile Deputy Director role suited to an individual with extensive strategy development and delivery experience, and knowledge and experience of governance systems and secretariat provision.
- Working closely with the Department’s Board and Executive Committee, sub-Committees and teams across the Department to ensure the plans meet the Department’s needs and a new Overall Planning system is successfully implemented.
- Provide an outstanding Secretariat and support service to underpin GLD’s corporate governance through its Board and Committee system and deliver and implement a review of GLD’s governance systems to ensure they provide a corporate performance system which enables and assures the delivery of GLD’s Strategic
- Drive forward the delivery and measurement of GLD’s Strategy and Strategic outcomes, and annual business planning process and lead the development of GLD’s future strategy and organisational design, through horizon scanning and analysis of trends and expectations for legal services in Whitehall (including the Modern Civil Service in 2025) and the wider legal sector.
- Provide Inspiring, Confident, and Empowering leadership of the Policy and Business management functions in GLD including a current team of around 25 Civil Servants, including four grade six heads of team.
- Leading engagement and collaborative work where required with other Government departments to ensure appropriate alignment with wider cross-Government priorities and commitments
- This includes developing strategies to support the growth and development of the Government Legal
- Profession and GLD’s response to the functional agenda in Whitehall and lead and co-ordinate the delivery of recommendations from a review of GLD sponsored by the Attorney General’s Office.
- Providing leadership and direction for GLD’s Private Office and Business management capabilities, continuing to invest in the capability and professionalisation of GLD’s policy and business management communities.
- This includes continuing to migrate Business Management teams across GLD under a refreshed Business Management model.
- Identifying and implementing the long-term location requirements for the Strategy and Governance team as part of GLD’s contribution to Places for Growth.
- The post holder will also be expected to play a leading role in the Strategy, People and Culture Directorate and GLD’s Corporate Resources Group as a member of its senior management team helping to modernise and change how functions and professions collaborate across GLD to ensure its corporate services provide a quality platform to underpin the delivery of its legal services.
- You will also be responsible for ensuring that GLD’s governance systems function effectively, ensuring the quality of business and secretariat service to them is of the highest quality.
- This includes continuing to develop the policy, decision making and corporate support skills across the Department as the Head of GLD’s policy (including senior private office) and Business Management capabilities.
- This includes helping to take forward the recommendations of a review of GLD’s corporate services function and development of a corporate services strategy, including the long-term location for these functions and teams as part of GLD’s commitment to the Places for Growth agenda.
- A track record of providing visible, authentic and skilled leadership in a complex organisation with the proven ability to build high performing teams, delivering outstanding service, as well as a commitment to developing diversity and inclusivity.
- A track record in leading the development and delivery of effective policies & corporate strategies through periods of uncertainty and ambiguity which have delivered long term organisational impact.
- A track record of working across boundaries with diverse customer and stakeholder environments, with an ability to establish effective relationships and credibility quickly and work collaboratively and influentially with stakeholders including up to Board and Ministerial level.
- A track record of leading governance systems and ensuring high quality performance measurement alongside excellent secretariat and service, which help to underpin an empowered delivery culture in a complex organisation.
Qualification & Experience:
- You will be leading a review of this system to ensure that it aligns with the requirements and expectations of GLD’s Board, to ensure that there is sufficient clarity, diversity and challenge within our governance structures and to ensure that a new system of business planning, known as the Overall Plan, is effectively implemented across GLD and evolves to provide a strategic decision-making system across the Department.
- A track record of building professional capability and as acting a role model for a functional or professional discipline in the strategy or policy environment or the ability to demonstrate other comparable relevant experience.
Company: Government Legal Department
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: London, England
Application Deadline: N/AApply Here