Website Guardian Jobs
About the job
HEALTHCARE INFECTION SOCIETY
Location: London (2 days a week – Monday and Wednesday) and from home – Hybrid | 37.5 hours per week |
Starting salary: £28-35K dependent on experience | 30 days annual leave plus time off in lieu for weekend work
Reporting to: Events and Marketing Manager
The Healthcare Infection Society (HIS) is a membership organisation whose objectives are to advance knowledge, foster scientific interest, and disseminate information about the prevention and control of healthcare-associated infections (HCAIs).
We have an exciting opportunity to join our enthusiastic, committed and engaged team of staff, committees and our 1,300 members who are experts in the prevention and control of HCAIs. Members are drawn largely from the medical profession and are predominantly consultant microbiologists and doctors enrolled on an infection specialty training programme. Nurses, clinical scientists, research scientists and others with a demonstrable professional interest in HCAIs are also a vital part of our membership network.
We connect academic and clinical researchers and healthcare professionals and aim to create opportunities and spaces for medical microbiologists, infectious disease physicians, clinical scientists and infection prevention and control specialists in healthcare settings to reduce the impact of nosocomial infections on patient care.
About Our Working Environment And Team
Our team of nine members of staff work to a hybrid model, spending two days per week (Monday and Wednesday) in our new headquarters in Bloomsbury, London, and the remainder of the working week from home. Our headquarters offer a fantastic working environment, and are within a 10 minute walking distance of King’s Cross St. Pancras. We work according to a flexible model with a generous annual leave allowance of 30 days per week and our working week finishes at 16:00 on Fridays.
Working with our members and volunteers is a pleasure, and each member of our staff team works closely with our committees and board of trustees. They comprise NHS consultants, trainees, nurses, clinical scientists and other professionals who are committed to excellence in infection prevention and control and patient care. Our working culture is collegiate, respectful and motivating.
We value our staff and offer generous travel and training support as well as employee perks and wellbeing packages.
We are searching for a science graduate with outstanding attention to detail, communication and organisation skills to join our team as our Events and Engagement Coordinator (EEC). If you would like to utilise your science background, research and analytical skills in a role that focuses on working with members who are clinicians and researchers working in an exciting area of science and medicine, then this could be the role for you. The EEC will join a small dynamic HIS staff team to support the planning and delivery of the HIS events and training programme (both online and face-to-face), manage the membership database and member communications, and take overall responsibility for maintaining content of the HIS website and social media channels. The post-holder will also be responsible for managing internal events and meetings and will be the main point of contact for general emails and telephone enquiries to the Society.
Main Duties And Responsibilities
The EEC will support the Events and Marketing Manager in the planning and delivery of an agreed programme of events and training courses for HIS by establishing and maintaining effective SOPs and coordinating and delivering events. This will include:
- Delegate liaison, speaker liaison, venue logistics (face-to-face events), updating budgets, event marketing and communications and post event follow ups
- Creation and maintenance of HIS website content in relation to events promotion and booking Creating templates and marketing material to aid the delivery and promotion of events and courses
- Attending and ensuring the smooth-running of events on the day and staffing the registration desk (face-to-face events)
- Setting up online events in the Zoom platform
- Providing technical support to convenors, trainers and participants prior to and during online webinars, events and training courses
- Organising internal HIS events and meetings including venue booking (if required), ordering catering and monitoring attendance
- Full organisation and minuting of the quarterly HIS Council meetings
The EEC will work with the Events and Marketing Manager to maintain the his.org.uk website content and social media channels. This will include:
- Using the Umbraco content management system (training will be provided) to make changes to the content and imagery of the website
- Carrying out regular audits to ensure content is up to date and accurate
- Producing monthly statistical reports to the internal team meetings
- Creating and posting content to the Twitter and LinkedIn accounts
- Monitoring Twitter accounts of relevant external organisations to keep abreast of activities within the sector
- Developing graphics for use on the HIS website and social media using InDesign
The EEC will oversee the day-to-day management of the membership database, oomi (training will be provided) and member communications. This will include:
- Daily approval of new and renewing members and ensuring eligibility
- Dealing with telephone and email enquiries regarding membership eligibility, member benefits and payment
- Collating content, designing, and sending out members’ news emails
- Carrying out from time to time and as directed, any other duties as required in addition to the above that will be both reasonable and within your capabilities
- Always ensuring that you take care of your health and safety and that of others by complying with health and safety obligations, particularly by reporting promptly any defects, risks or potential hazards
Essential, Unless Otherwise Stated
Education and experience:
- Educated to degree standard or equivalent in a science subject, ideally biology
- Demonstrated experience of managing projects
- Demonstrated experience of event management
- Demonstrated experience of running online meetings and webinars in Zoom (or similar platform)
- Experience of managing social media channels
- Experience of committee work including taking detailed minutes and follow up actions (desirable)
- Knowledge of working with databases for membership, event management or data management (desirable)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – written and verbal
- Understanding of and commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
- Task-driven self-starter, with good time management, attention to detail and the ability to manage own workload
- Technical IT skills: competent in the use of Microsoft Office suite, ability to understand logical processes
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills
- A proven track record of delivering a high standard of customer service
- Excellent telephone manner
- Knowledge of compliance, specifically as it relates to data protection
- Proven track record of producing work accurately and to a high standard whilst under pressure, with emphasis on attention to detail whilst working to deadlines
- Ability to work as a key and supportive member of a flexible team
- Willingness to travel and stay away from home on occasion and overnight
- Willingness to work outside of office hours when event management duties dictate
What we can offer you as our Events and Engagement Coordinator
- 30 days holiday
- Additional holiday between Christmas and New Year
- Employee perks programme
- Generous pension scheme
- Generous training budget
- Flexible working
- Employee assistance programme
Although the final deadline for applications is 9am on Thursday 3 November 2023, applications will be assessed as they are received, and the application window may close at short notice. Candidates are encouraged to submit applications early. Applicants are required to submit a CV and a covering letter of no more than two A4 pages in length addressing why they would like this post, and why they are perfect for this role to [email protected] Please combine both documents in one PDF file.
Incomplete applications will not be selected for shortlisting. Applicants must have the right to work in the UK. Please note that the location for this role every Monday and Wednesday is at HIS headquarters. Please only apply for this role if you are willing to travel into London on these days.
Interviews will take place on 9 or 11 November via MS Teams.