About the job
Big Bank Funding. FinTech Thinking.
Our technology teams in the UK work closely with HSBC’s global businesses to help design and build digital services that allow our millions of customers around the world, to bank quickly, simply and securely. We also run and manage our IT infrastructure, data centres and core banking systems that power the world’s leading international bank.
Our multi-disciplined teams include: DevOps engineers, IT architects, front and back end developers, infrastructure specialists, cyber experts, as well as project and programme managers.
The Finance on the Cloud Common Component team are responsible for developing cloud based solutions that support multiple use-cases for Finance. These applications use a combination of cloud native and cloud agnostic technology. The team is also responsible for the development of Continuous Integration/Continuous Development (CI/CD) pipelines that support both the common cloud applications and use-case specific applications used within the Finance cloud platform. The team works in DevOps Pods working in an Agile Model following the scrum methodology. Team members have backgrounds in various skillsets but come together to share knowledge and best practice.
The pods work across multiple locations (Sheffield, London, India, Hong Kong and Poland) – requiring a high degree of collocation and strong working relationships to work cohesively. However the CICD pod for which this role applies is predominantly UK based and follow UK office hours, this is due to the detailed time critical communication required for successful outcomes.
The Development Engineering job is responsible for developing the most appropriate and secure Technology solutions using iterative software development/programming in line with the solution design, to meet customer needs, ensuring continuous improvement.
This role will carry out some or all of the following activities:
- Design and engineer software with the customer/user experience as a key objective
- Work within a feature team to engineer software, scripts and tools to enable the delivery of bank’s products and services
- Design, develop and deploy applications capable of meeting the anticipated load, performance, availability, security and resilience requirements of petabyte scale processing
- Design and develop software with a focus on automation of build, testing and deployment process on all environments to minimize variation and ensure predictable high quality code and data
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant controls and standards including relevant Service Management Standard
- Ensure high data quality exists in Service Management systems of record
- Provide support in identification and resolution of all incidents associated with the IT service, as directed by leadership of the DevOps team
- Ensure service resilience, service sustainability and recovery time objectives are met for all the software solutions delivered
- Responsible for automating the continuous integration/continuous delivery pipeline within a DevOps Product/Service team driving a culture of continuous improvement
- Keep up-to-date and have expertise on current tools, technologies and areas like cyber security and regulations pertaining to aspects like data privacy, consent, data residency etc. that are applicable
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for the Finance on the Cloud Common Components team’s cloud CICD offerings.
- Serve as SME and primary contact for Finance on the Cloud deployment and compliance management service
- Conduct demonstrations and knowledge transfers of in-house built CICD pipelines for relevant Stakeholders.
- Support stakeholders with adoption of CICD pipelines built in-house by the Finance on the Cloud team.
- Demonstrate a strong desire to develop and use technical skills
- Maintain and improve existing Finance on the Cloud CICD Pipelines
- Manage the Finance on the Cloud team’s ‘in-compliance’ position with all of our deployable cloud artefacts
- Strong development experience with Python
- Strong experience working with cloud environments, particularly the Google Cloud Platform
- Experience working with BigQuery SQL
- Experience of working with authentication and granular protection techniques utilised by the bank for Google Cloud Platform
- Advanced knowledge of HSBC’s Google Cloud and Azure Cloud processes and procedures
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to deal with a diverse range of stakeholders at a number of different levels
- Advanced technical authoring skills with good knowledge of Confluence
- Familiarity with GitHub (versioning tool), Nexus (artefact repository), and JIRA (ticketing and developer management tool)
- Either a relevant degree coupled with passing through the HSBC tech graduate program or 5+ years relevant industry experience in the financial sector
- Working towards or already obtained Google Cloud Certified Architect or Developer Status
- Experience working with the Microsoft Azure cloud platform
The role will be based in Sheffield but some travel may be required. This role supports Hybrid working
Come Power a Business that Defines How to Power the World
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of ethnicity, religion, age, physical or mental disability/long term health condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by local law in the jurisdictions in which we operate. Within the work place you will have access to various employee resource groups which aim to promote and achieve a healthy work / life balance and support our diversity ambitions. HSBC has in place processes in order to avoid nepotism, which means to avoid creating circumstances in which the appearance or possibility of conflicts of interest may exist within the hiring process.
We want everyone to be able to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies.
As an HSBC employee in the UK, you will have access to tailored professional development opportunities and a competitive pay and benefits package. This includes private healthcare for all UK-based employees, enhanced maternity and adoption pay and support when you return to work, and a contributory pension scheme with a generous employer contribution.
Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.