About the job
Director – Commercial Banking Origination (Loan & Investment Banking Origination)
The Director role is based in the Commercial Banking Origination team (“CMBO”), within Structured Finance and Risk Distribution Commercial Banking in Europe.
The role focuses on driving Commercial Banking (“CMB”) revenues through collaboration with Global Banking and Markets. This primarily comprises building relationships with CMB customers and prospects by identifying their needs for Investment Banking and Capital Markets products and solutions, as well as fostering seamless internal connectivity across products, business lines, sector verticals and geographies.
In addition, the role of the Director is to lead complex loan origination and execution for corporate clients in our markets, supported by Transaction Management colleagues, and in close collaboration with other members of Structured Finance and Risk Distribution team (Sustainable Finance, Portfolio Management, Risk Distribution, MMFS & Sponsors Coverage, CRE, Venture Debt). The geographic remit of the CMBO team, which is based in London, is to support a number of countries in Europe where HSBC has an on the ground presence.
The Director will be expected to take a leading role in the build-out of the CMBO team in Europe, driving connectivity with regional CMBO teams in other geographies and with Global Banking and CMB teams in Europe.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Co-ordinate origination of event-driven business from CMB customers in the region, being the primary point of contact for both relationship managers and country heads in the countries covered by the team
- Establish a holistic understanding of clients’ needs and deliver innovative high value solutions across all Global Banking and Markets product lines, gaining significant business and sustainable returns for the Group
- Develop and maintain ‘trusted adviser’ relationship and access at key decision maker level for assigned current and target clients, leading discussions and negotiations with clients and prospective clients, and share significant experience of managing complex international transaction processes, including identifying and mitigating key risks that will secure and protect the bank while meeting client needs.
- Lead multi-bank loan transactions, via leading a syndication process or co-ordinating a ‘club’ arrangement.
- Drive connectivity and communication between CMB relationship managers, Global Banking and Markets product and sector specialists, as well as colleagues in international markets and other Global Businesses, in order to achieve long term growth in pipeline from new and existing customers
- Manage and lead deal teams and work closely with other teams in Global Banking to ensure transactions are appropriately resourced and deadlines and key milestones are met
- Set expectations, share best practice and manage, monitor, coach and develop the junior members of the team and others to ensure that they maximise their performance, meet the required standards, and continuously develop their capabilities and experience.
- Encourage constructive cross-country and cross-business teamwork that enables delivery of the annual operating plan for the European business, whilst promoting and demonstrating the values of HSBC.
- Ensure CMBO operates in accordance with the Bank’s internal lending and other guidelines, controls and procedures and also in line with any external regulatory requirements.
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- Experience in investment banking (debt finance / corporate finance), leveraged finance, structured finance origination or equivalent is essential
- A track record of building and developing client relationships at senior executive level and a proven ability to develop strategic dialogue with clients through proactive idea generation is essential.
- Relevant transaction experience in European jurisdictions would be advantageous.
- Excellent knowledge of Commercial Banking and Investment Banking products and a strong network of contacts, demonstrating the ability to navigate a broad range of senior stakeholders within a matrix environment
- Experience in line management and ability to evidence a flexible and adaptable management style with experience of developing yourself and others would be advantageous.
- Language skills (e.g. French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Polish, Czech) would be advantageous.
- A successful track record of delivering complex projects and/or programmes, managing other team members and utilising appropriate techniques and tools to ensure and measure success
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills with experience of analysing and summarising high volumes of business and transactional information under significant time pressure, whilst adapting your style and approach to the audience and message to be delivered
- Contributed productively to team objectives, sometimes supporting and sometimes leading activities to achieve shared goals
- A comprehensive understanding of risk management and proven experience of ensuring own/others’ compliance with relevant regulatory processes
The base location for this role is Canada Square, London. A hybrid working model is available with an expectation for the role holder to travel throughout Europe on occasion.
At HSBC we look to enable our employees to better balance their work / life priorities and have the flexibility required to meet challenging needs as they progress through different life stages. Where possible we will consider the following flexible working options: part-time working, job sharing, term-time working, working from home and staggered hours. If in considering a role with HSBC, you have a need for some flexibility in your working arrangements please discuss this with the recruitment team in the early stages of the application process.
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of ethnicity, religion, age, physical or mental disability/long term health condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by local law in the jurisdictions in which we operate. Within the work place you will have access to various employee resource groups which aim to promote and achieve a healthy work / life balance and support our diversity ambitions. HSBC has in place processes in order to avoid nepotism, which means to avoid creating circumstances in which the appearance or possibility of conflicts of interest may exist within the hiring process.
When joining HSBC Commercial Banking, you will become a valued member of our team, we take the time to get to know you and there will be many tailored development opportunities along the way to support your career to grow as much as you want. We can offer you a competitive pay and benefits package. This includes private healthcare for all UK-based employees, enhanced maternity, shared parental and adoption pay, and support when you return to work, and a contributory pension scheme with a generous employer contribution. But this is only the start, we work closely with our colleagues to understand their life balance needs and we support them with several schemes and initiatives. We can’t wait to tell you about our ways of working, wellbeing agenda and our healthiest human system!
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: +44 2078328500