Website Network Rail
About the job
This role sits in Route Services, a business area that has been created to supply services to the routes in the safest, most cost-efficient and effective way, enabling them to benefit from economies of scale and optimised national resources.
Working in the IT Services Team, you will provide our customers with smart technology for the railway of today, designing fit-for-purpose and innovative solutions. Your vital work will help to manage the day-to-day running of our vast IT estate, from safety critical systems maintenance to hardware provision, supporting thousands of employees every day.
Develop, manage, and deliver the strategic (people, competence and skills) workforce planning and resource capability plan and frameworks so that Route Services Information Technology (RSIT) can proactively anticipate current and future people needs to meet the business strategic plan and objectives and enable the professional development of its people’s skills and capability.
What will you be doing?
- Create and lead RSIT strategy for the development, delivery and monitoring of the competence, experience and skills of its workforce aligning it to the strategic direction of the function to build the capability of the workforce to deliver business objectives.
- Implement, and manage the IT Services Professional competence framework and management system, establishing appropriate competence standards and assessments protocols for all current and future roles in order to assess and analyse workforce capability and create skills-gap analysis.
- Lead, develop and progress RSIT training needs, development opportunities, talent management and succession planning frameworks and programmes, in collaboration with key HR and training colleagues, so employees gain the necessary competences and skills to undertake their roles.
- Monitor and report on the effectiveness and progress of training, development initiatives, talent initiatives, recruitment and succession planning activities to provide stakeholders with informed management information on which decisions need to be made.
- Investigate, undertake and source new technology/digital workforce planning and capability development practices from outside the rail industry for optimum efficiency and effectiveness in the training and development of staff within RSIT.
- Build and maintain the RS IT Services Operating Model capability map based on operating model trends in the technology sector and known capability needs of RSIT, considering benchmarking research and budgetary implications,) to address capability gaps.
- Develop and lead, in collaboration with the Resourcing team, the medium/long term workforce plan (18 months – 7 years), creating people resourcing scenarios for the RSIT organisation (including outsourcing strategy) based on the RSIT strategic plan and target operating model and industry trends,
- Develop and implement an integrated workforce planning approach, including leading on headcount report and analysis, advising on costs where appropriate to aid business decisions around workforce requirements and budget planning purposes.
- Collaborate with training stakeholders to advise on and manage design, development and delivery of a range of integrated learning and development initiatives to provide tailored and specific solutions to address employees’ capability needs
- Lead on the development of a culture of continuous improvement for RSIT training and capability management, introducing impact measured analytics to demonstrate scale of success of learning and development delivery, informing future L&D activities and demonstrating return on investment.
The Ideal Candidate
Meet the essential criteria/ Apply today to join our team!
- Completion of CIPD – Strategic Workforce Planning or equivalent experience
- Demonstrable experience in developing and implementing strategic workforce planning systems and frameworks.
- Extensive and proven experience in the development of competence management strategy and systems, standards, assessment methodologies and training and development programmes;
- Creative, challenging, able to operate both strategically and at a detailed level;
- Influential, credible, strong at building relationships and able to communicate effectively with managers at all levels, including at an executive level.,
- Experience of designing and delivering a range of training solutions and options.
- Able to provide effective project team management to achieve complex or high priority objectives
- Proactive, with the ability to work flexibly and proactively – managing changing and competing priorities and absorbing new information rapidly to address complex issues within a strategic context.
- Strong analysis and statistic skills; proven ability of using predictive modelling and deriving insight from multiple data sources and using this to support arguments and problem solve complex resourcing challenges
- Educated to degree level (in a relevant degree such as Human Resource Management or Computer Science) or equivalent experience.
- Experience of skills-based frameworks and proven ability to produce a skills profile from a job description
- Knowledge of the rail industry
- In depth knowledge of an IT based-skills framework such as SFIA
- Post Graduate Strategic Workforce Planning certification (PgCert)
Who we are looking for?
We are committed to a diverse workplace enriched with representation from diverse cultures, backgrounds and skills. We pride ourselves on creating an environment where difference is embraced, and individuals can thrive. We recognise that the success of the team is dependent on a multi-cultural, multi-disciplined group of individuals, aligned to deliver successful solutions.
At Network Rail, we have a number of employee networks to reflect our diverse population and help to raise issues to the wider workforce and support their membership and support our Everybody Matters strategy, led by our central Diversity & Inclusion team. We have Diversity & Inclusion Champions who take part and lead on many activities, to drive through more initiatives to support an inclusive environment for all its people and promote a professional and positive working environment. For more information on Diversity & Inclusion at Network Rail, please follow this link
Vacancy Type: Full-time but flexible working patterns will be considered.
Location: The Quadrant, Milton Keynes
Closing date: 27th October 2023
Band & Salary: 3C (£53,202 – £59,853)
We’re an organisation where people matter. We matter to millions.
We offer excellent benefits, including:
- Flexible working patterns such as working from home and working compressed hours
- A range of pension schemes
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Rail and underground season ticket subsidies up to 75%
- 28 days annual leave, plus bank holidays and volunteering days (5 days)
- 2 weeks paid reserve leave for our Armed Forces community
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- GymPass – Access to gym’s across the UK
- Access to ‘My Benefits’ portal which include discounts in food, technology and experience days
In 2021, we were voted as one of the Best Places to work in the UK .
Click ‘apply for this job’ to apply. If you would like to speak the Resourcing Team, please contact [email protected]
For further information of the role please contact Ravinder Chahall , [email protected]
About The Company
We’re an organisation where people matter. We matter to millions.
Our role is to run a safe, reliable and efficient railway, serving customers and communities. We exist to get people and goods where they need to be and to support our country’s economic prosperity. Safety is our number one priority.
We’re undertaking an ambitious change. Our vision is Putting Passengers First – becoming a company that is on the side of passengers and freight users.
As one of the UK’s leading equal opportunities employers, our values and the way we behave is important to us and we have created an environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution. We have seven employee networks that provide fantastic support, opportunities and development for applicants from all backgrounds. Click here for more information
Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd