Website Network Rail
About the job
About Network Rail
Our passengers and freight users are at the heart of everything we do. We help connect people to their friends and families and get goods to their destination safely and efficiently. We’re an organisation where people matter.
We’re continuing to build a diverse organisation which is representative of the people we serve. We want to harness the skills and expertise of our people and attract the best talent, to enable a safe and accessible railway for everyone. To learn why inclusion is important to us, please click
About our people and the recruitment process – We’re an inclusive employer of choice and we welcome applications from everyone!
We encourage our colleagues to work flexibly, as we know traditional working patterns don’t always fit. If you want to consider working flexibly, just let us know and we’ll do our best to help and invest in your career with us , whilst you have a healthy work life balance.
We’re also a
To provide post-contract commercial management of medium value/medium risk activity and support pre-contract activity within the project delivery team’s scope of work, providing specialist commercial advice, guidance and recommendations to mitigate commercial risks.
Commercial partner to one of the Works Delivery teams. Works Delivery is a fast-paced environment with plenty of opportunities for the right individual. We are integral to delivering renewals for the rest of the control period and beyond. At current the southern region is going through some exciting developments which are game changers in the industry.
This role can be based out of Blackfriars or Basingstoke.
About The Role (External)
- Support the programme and project teams in monitoring for breaches of compliance with Network Rail Corporate governance and rules in a timely manner.
- Manage cost reporting of all allocated projects within the Network Rail reporting framework including Cost Forecasting, Anticipated Final Cost, Cost of Work Done, Gross Billing and Current Contract Value.
- Monitor, manage and report on all commercial aspects of allocated projects, flagging issues and proposing mitigation actions at the earliest opportunity to Project Manager and/or Programme Manager (functional reporting line) and/or Senior Commercial Manager.
- Monitor awareness of all activities on allocated projects in order to influence decision making from a commercial perspective. Review contractor delivery; including leading valuation of medium value/medium risk contracts and attending all progress meetings to actively influence contractor’s commercial behaviours, delivery and activity.
- Manage assessment and valuation of contractor’s applications and processing of payment certification in accordance with Network Rail processes, contractual terms and conditions and commensurate with contractual entitlement. Challenge cost elements, audit where appropriate and make sure valuations are consistent with agreed site progress.
- Provide pro-active advice and guidance to Project Managers on all change including proposed scope changes, recommending appropriate action in accordance with Network Rail change control systems and produce all required documentation for approval in accordance with levels of delegated authority, including comparative estimates where required, in a timely manner.
- Produce applications for payment/invoices to outside clients in accordance with relevant funding agreements, including supporting documentation as appropriate.
- Identify and advise on all commercial risk/claim events.
- Provide of ad-hoc management information and analysis to promote informed decision-making.
- Produce appropriate commercial correspondence and contractual notices for issue in accordance with contractual conditions. Make sure commercial records are retained and archived properly upon close out.
- Undertake final account settlements and internal reconciliation to project close-out as per the project authority, project plan and within agreed timescales.
- Support demonstration of efficiencies and continual improvement of estimating by undertaking cost analysis of completed projects and feedback as per Cost Allocation Feedback process.
- Support pre and post contract procurement activities as appropriate.
- Provide support to estimating resources, offering guidance and advice on project scale/scope as required.
- Support the negotiation of all prices under existing contracts/framework agreements (including the negotiation of target costs) and fully participate in the associated quantitative risk assessment and value management workshops, as required.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Demonstrable experience in commercially managing investment projects
- Demonstrable relevant experience
- Good understanding of railway and construction industry forms of contract
- Good understanding of the construction/railway industry
- Good negotiation skills
- Educated to degree standard in related subject
- Membership of a relevant professional institute, chartered status
- Significant experience of working within a generalist commercial environment
- Awareness of industry issues
- Can work on own initiative/self-starter
How To Apply (External)
Salary: £41,711 – £46,925 8 per annum
Closing date: 28/10/2023 Late applications will not be accepted.
Click ‘apply now’ to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Want to find out about what benefits we offer?
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks.