Website Network Rail
About the job
Please note due to ongoing organisational change, any at risk internal candidates will be considered for these roles in the first instance.
Whilst we welcome external applicants we cannot shortlist external candidates until our internal processes have been completed, which may result in some delay or this vacancy being withdrawn.
We partner with our Network Rail routes and regions, delivering critical services and essential equipment to help get passengers and good to where they need to be. To find out more watch our video.
About Electrification And Energy Management
E&EM leads industry wide programmes including: Decarbonisation, Electrical Safety Delivery (ESD) and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA). Developing innovative technology and improvements in ways of working and culture change. Delivering value that matters for colleagues across Network Rail and the industry, to improve the passenger experience, tracker worker safety and to deliver a low carbon railway.
What will you be doing?
This role is based in our South West Region and leads a team of two commercial staff at Weston-super-Mare. The regional offices are located at Reading, Swindon, Bristol and Cardiff. You will provide commercial management of design, procurement and implementation activities and specialist commercial advice, guidance and recommendations to maximise commercial opportunities and mitigate risks. This role requires a collaborative approach whilst recognising the importance of formal cost controls and ensuring compliance with corporate governance. You will also produce all necessary documentation for external contracts for design support, procurement and implementation as well as commercial correspondence, contractual notices and post contract commercial duties. You will liaise with our broad internal client base on the commercial status of the projects and contribute to our business reporting. As a member of the team, you will identify commercial areas for continuous improvement, report on and further development metrics for measuring success and roll out new initiatives
- Responsible for all of the post contract commercial contract management and support pre-contract activity of all frameworks and contracts related to the programme of works.
- Responsible for establishing and implementing appropriate commercial strategies including effective project cost management and providing feedback into subsequent procurement processes.
- Responsible for the commercial management of framework agreements and supporting contracts leading the commercial review of contractor delivery, attending valuation & progress meetings as necessary.
- Initiate estimating and risk & value management of projects in a timely manner during the project life-cycle, recommending appropriate mitigating actions on commercial/risk events at the earliest opportunity.
- Lead the negotiation of all prices under existing contracts/framework agreements (including the negotiation of target costs) and fully participate in the associated Quantitative Risk Assessment and Value Management Workshops.
- Responsible for monitoring and managing all project reporting such that it is accurately maintained and recorded in accordance with company reporting systems. Explain all variances to outturns, period forecasts, AFCs and budget/authority to Finance & Commercial Director [Region] / Programme Commercial Manager/Programme Director, proposing mitigating actions at the earliest opportunity.
- Lead and deploy the commercial team in the management of all live projects ensuring they are adequately resourced from a commercial perspective.
- Provide pro-active expertise, advice and governance on all contract/scope changes in accordance with change control systems, recommending or authorising appropriate action within delegated authority and progressing the timely resolution of contract variations.
- Manage all commercial correspondence and contractual notices issued in accordance with contractual conditions to confirm whether Network Rail’s contractual position is clearly defined.
- Identify emerging problems, report contractual claims & support in the management and resolution of legal and/or commercial disputes in conjunction with Regional/Functional management as appropriate.
- Establish appropriate compliance controls and audit regimes to achieve adherence to Network Rail’s relevant procedures, Group and company standards.
- Lead the final account settlements on all projects to manage close out as per the project authority, project plan and within agreed timescales. Monitor all multi-year framework agreements, to agreement and reconciled annual accounts within 6 months of each year-end.
- Support demonstration of efficiencies and continual improvement of estimating by undertaking cost analysis of completed projects and feedback as per Cost Allocation Feedback process.
- Support with pre and post contract procurement activities as appropriate acting as role model for commercial staff, providing coaching and development as appropriate.
The Ideal Candidate
- Knowledge of railway and construction industry conditions of contract.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent and professional qualification
- Experienced negotiator.
- Experience of resolution of construction contract disputes
- Relevant railway and/or construction experience.
- Knowledge of railway commercial contract management.
- Good understanding of Oracle and functions
What Could Set You Apart
- Experience of managing and developing a team of staff.
- Good communication skills both written and oral.
- Experience of contractors accounts.
Role Title: Senior Commercial Manager
Salary range: 3.C £53,202- £59,853
Contract Type: Permanent
Location can be: Western-Super-Mare, London, Milton Keynes, Birmingham, Swindon, Bristol with travel to Western-Super-Mare once a week
At Network rail you will have a clear development path, access to training and enjoy a range of employee benefits, such as; up to 28 days annual leave, rail subsidies, a range of pension options, flexible and agile working arrangements, discounts on shopping, gym memberships and much more.
Closing date: 21st October 2023
Click ‘apply for this job’ to apply. If you would like to speak the Resourcing Team please contact: [email protected]
About The Company
We’re an organisation where people matter. We matter to millions.
Our role is to run a safe, reliable and efficient railway, serving customers and communities. We exist to get people and goods where they need to be and to support our country’s economic prosperity. Safety is our number one priority.
We’re undertaking an ambitious change. Our vision is Putting Passengers First – becoming a company that is on the side of passengers and freight users.
As one of the UK’s leading equal opportunities employers, our values and the way we behave is important to us and we have created an environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution. We have seven employee networks that provide fantastic support, opportunities and development for applicants from all backgrounds. Click here for more information
Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd