Website Network Rail
About the job
About Network Rail
Our passengers and freight users are at the heart of everything we do. We help connect people to their friends and families and get goods to their destination safely and efficiently. We’re an organisation where people matter. When you’re part of our team, you matter to us and you matter to millions. Watch our video to find out more!
We’re continuing to build a more diverse and inclusive organisation which is representative of the customers we serve. To do this, it’s essential we become a more open, diverse and inclusive organisation, harnessing the skills and expertise of all our people and attracting the best talent to help us have a safe, accessible railway for everyone. To learn more about how Diversity and Inclusion is important to Network Rail please click here.
Our finance function is key to our success. Our diverse and hard-working team is responsible for ensuring we secure appropriate funding and get the best possible value for the money we spend, driving forward our continuing mission to transform the UK’s rail network into a world-class infrastructure.
As Finance Business Partner, you will work with the supported business leadership team, under the direction of the Financial Controller/Senior Finance Business Partner, you will manage a team responsible for the delivery of a professional finance and accounting service to the business. You will provide proactive finance support to the business leaders across the function/route.
About The Role (External)
What will you be doing?
- Manage a team of approximately 5 people who are responsible for delivering an accounting service to the rest of the business.
- Provide support to your direct reports and the team by helping to manage workloads, resource planning, arranging training and being a port of call for the team when needed.
- Lead and provide financial advice and guidance to senior budget holders in understanding the impact of the period results and forecasts against budges so they can understand their business better.
- Guide the business on accounting practices and advise on Network Rail Finance Regulations.
- Carry out accounting processes on behalf of the business in an accurate and timely manner, influence decision makers as a subject matter expert in the processes.
- Deliver expert and accurate business review information and reporting and highlight any significant issues with financial and other business results to enable informed decision making by the business area.
- Support the team with the newly implemented CRM tool to prioritise requests and review of the periodic reports and KPIs.
- Develop and implement process improvements to find leaner ways of process completion and waste removal to drive benefits to the team and across the business.
- Support in the on-boarding of work being centralised through looking at resource and capabilities within the team and working with the business to establish a best practice process which meets the needs and requirements of the business.
What essential skills and experience are we looking for?
- Demonstrate strong understanding of business needs and relevant application of accounting standards.
- Membership (or working towards membership) of a relevant accounting body (e.g. CIMA/ACCA), or equivalent experience.
- Expert knowledge and experience of creating and maintaining accounts and annual budget.
- Significant experience within relevant finance subject areas.
- Strong excel skills and use of data manipulation.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to interpret technical accounting regulations into everyday language.
- Demonstrable effective influencing skills at a senior level.
- Significant understanding of financial control and risk.
- Excellent technical finance and accounting knowledge.
We would also like, but it isn’t crucial:
- Understanding of project management principles and experience of managing complex projects.
- Membership of a relevant accounting body.
- Extensive experience of Oracle based systems.
- Degree or equivalent qualification in finance and accounting or business management or experience.
- Experience of people management
How To Apply (External)
- Vacancy Type: Permanent. This role is full-time, but flexible working arrangements will be considered.
- Location: This role is based at Manchester Square One.
- Closing date: 19th October 2023 late application will not be accepted
- Band & Salary: 4C, £41,711 – £46,925 per annum, plus benefits
- 28 days annual leave entitlement, plus Bank Holidays and five volunteer days.
- My Benefits – our discounted online shopping site.
- A range of discounted offers including cycle to work, healthcare club discounted membership and other benefits.
- Subsidies of up to 75% on rail and underground season tickets.
- A range of pension schemes.
- Two weeks paid reserve leave for our Armed Forces community.
- Training, development and employee assistance programme available.
What can we offer you in return?
We have a range of benefits including:
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks.
We’re an inclusive employer of choice, Disability Confident Leader employer, encourage people to work flexibly and we welcome applications from everyone (Click here for more information). Visit Evenbreak’s Career Hive should you need accessibility support to apply.
Should you require any reasonable adjustments/modifications, please contact [email protected].
Click ‘Apply’ to begin your application!