Website Network Rail
About the job
About Network Rail
Network Rail has played a key role in keeping the country moving during the coronavirus pandemic – and we will play an equally important part in rebuilding from it.
We get people where they need to be, whether they are commuting to work, visiting friends or family, or going for a night out.
We make millions of lives better every day and have a vital job in driving the economy and prosperity of the nation!
Over the coming years we will be building and improving crucial rail links between the country’s biggest cities, making our services faster, more comfortable and more reliable for the people who rely on us.
We’re also changing our organisation to put the passenger at the heart of everything we do, to make our people even prouder to work for us and to be recognised as a true leader in our industry.
In joining Network Rail, you’re not only joining an organisation with a vital role to play for the country, but also a team of more than 40,000 people, and a business dedicated to being one of Britain’s best employers.
Does this sound like an organisation you’d like to be a part of?
We have a great opportunity for a Human Resources Business Partner to join the Northern Powerhouse Rail Development team.
This role can be based in Manchester or York and whilst it can be performed on a hybrid basis, there will be an expectation to be present in person at leadership meetings and to build relationships with the Exec team, so anticipate at least 3 days a week in a Network Rail office. The Northern Powerhouse Rail Development team is located across the North of England with the main offices in Manchester and York so expect some travel.
Following publication of the Integrated Rail Plan and Government’s commitment to increased rail investment, this is an exciting opportunity to join the team leading the development of Northern Powerhouse Rail (NPR) that will significantly improve journey times and capacity across the North of England. Delivering NPR will also substantially improve connectivity between key northern cities, yielding benefits through economic agglomeration and community regeneration that would help the North to realise its economic potential and maximise opportunities for international travel and trade.
The HR team play a key role in supporting leadership teams achieve their goals through their people. The HR Business Partner proactively works to meet individual people needs around talent, development, retention, engagement, case management, reporting and performance management. This is a busy role and will require candidates proficient with driving and influencing genuine change to improve business performance whilst supporting efforts to progress the business plan.
As well as a competitive salary and superb benefits package (for more information click
About the role (External)
- Liaising closely with the supported business, to implement and deliver the HR Strategy/People Plan to include talent, succession planning and change management, in order to support the delivery of strategic objectives and drive a high-performance culture.
- Work closely and building positive relationships with members of the supported business senior leadership team and other relevant stakeholders. Coach, advise and challenge, where appropriate, business leaders on short and medium term HR issues.
- Provide operational HR support on (for example) organisation change, senior appointments, salary and bonus, graduate or apprentice programmes.
- Successfully deliver client responsive, cost effective and integrated people solutions that address key business objectives, gaining acceptance from key stakeholders.
- Reinforce the ownership of people management by the business and line managers and support the HR delivery model.
- Work with the broader HR function, including Centres of expertise, HR Direct and HR shared services teams to provide the best solutions for the business.
- Work with appropriate Union representatives to support the business in delivering business solutions.
- Liaise with HR Business Partners in other areas of the business in order to work collaboratively on cross business/geographical issues.
- Demonstrates strong business/commercial approach and understanding of business needs.
- Proven experience of working in partnership and building strong working relationships with senior managers in order to improve people management.
- Passionate about customer service with ability to articulate previous achievements through business deliverables.
- Knowledge and experience of implementing best practice HR solutions to drive a high-performance culture.
- Experience of coaching and influencing senior managers.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to negotiate and influence effectively with all levels of an organisation.
- Understands how to work with the business to identify, develop and retain talent.
- Excellent technical HR Knowledge – CIPD qualified or proven experience to demonstrate level of competence.
- Demonstrable track record of operating in a complex working environment.
- Involvement in organisation change programmes e.g. TUPE, Organisation re-design, redundancy programmes, etc.
- Graduate calibre or equivalent.
- MCIPD/post-graduate human resources qualification or equivalent.
- Understanding of project management principles and experience of managing complex projects to successful conclusion.
- Experience of managing projects to successful conclusion.
- Experience of working within a unionised environment.
- Key Leadership Capabilities.
- Influencing others.
- Creating solutions.
- Understanding others.
- Making things happen.
- Thinking flexibly.
- Customer focus.
How To Apply (External)
Salary : £41,711 to £46,925
Closing date: 23rd October 2023 – Late applications will not be accepted.
Interviews will be held on 27th and 28th October 2023
Remote working opportunity! This role requires working in the office at least 3 days a week
Network Rail Benefits –
Click apply now to apply.
You can visit add a note to your application.
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks.