Website The Open University
The Open University is the UK’s largest university, a world leader in flexible part-time education, combining a mission to widen access to higher education with research excellence, transforming lives through education.
- It is permanent, with a probation period of two years.
- The annual salary and workload are fixed, but there are significant workload peaks and troughs, mainly linked to providing marking and assessment feedback.
- This is likely to include exam and end of module marking tasks.
- We are seeking to recruit several Associate Lecturers to teach modules in finance and accounting, in the Business School, Faculty of Business and Law, at the Open University.
- The position is part-time ( a minimum of 0.1 FTE) and would involve teaching one or more modules and engagement in other tutor related activities.
- B293 B293 – Financial accounting in context – Open University Course
- B391 B391 | Management Accounting and International Finance | Open University Course
- B815 B815 | Financial markets and the financing of organisations | Open University Course
- The position is home-based and has no fixed core hours.
- Other tasks will be required such as focused student support (individual and forum), peer mentoring and working with the module team on assessment activities and quality improvement.
- Some evening and weekend work will be required.
- The appropriate level of FTE will be discussed at interview and there is the possibility of increasing the FTE later.
- The starting full-time salary is £34,304 paid pro rata based on individual FTE.
- Have either a first degree in Accounting and Finance, OR a non-Business degree plus a post graduate qualification in an Accounting or Finance related subject, OR a professional qualification in Accounting or Finance from a Chartered body [assessed on application form].
- Demonstrate academic credibility across a broad range of accounting and/or finance areas including the ability to explain complex accounting/finance topics clearly [assessed on application form and at interview].
- Outline how you have encouraged students to engage with independent study including how you have supported them to achieve learning outcomes through the development of study skills in academic writing, numerical literacy, digital literacy and critical thinking [assessed on application form and at interview].
- Demonstrate experience of facilitating learning through blended learning approaches (synchronous and asynchronous, face to face and at a distance) to a wide range of students with varied abilities, learning styles, study intentions and experiences. Candidates using commercial workplace equivalents will be considered, although greater weighting will be given to candidates with teaching experience through Adobe Connect, Blackboard or other equivalents ( assessed on application form and at interview)
- Have a willingness and flexibility to undertake other tutor related activities, for example supporting colleagues through peer review [assessed on application form and at interview].
- Provide evidence of experience of teaching finance and/or accounting or coaching adults in finance and/or accounting (substantial coaching and training experience in the workplace will be considered as an alternative to formal teaching, although additional weighting will be given to candidates with higher education teaching eperience). [assessed on application form and at interview].
Qualification & Experience:
- Demonstrate knowledge of current issues and developments in accounting and / or finance
- Teaching qualification in relevant subject or HEA accreditation
- A higher degree or Ph.D. in a relevant area (or equivalent)
- Relevant knowledge or experience of professional practice in accounting and/or finance
Company: The Open University
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Milton Keynes, England
Application Deadline: N/AApply Here